Optics for repair work

GeorgeC

Who here uses a microscope for most of their repair work?  I step over to the diamond scope from time to time to check out a part that my double loop eyeglass setup won't magnify enough for my need.  I would just like some feedback on how other people enlarge these small parts.

I think it would be fabulous to be able to assemble most all of the small parts with some form of a scope where you have great light and magnification.

Thanks

I use a microscope only for the inspection of parts and jewels the one I have has a light underneath making it ideal for jewel inspection, most of the time I use a headband magnifier that allows binocular vision and results in far less eyestrain. I resort to a eyeglass of 10x or 5x  when refitting bridges so I can see the pivots lining up with the jewel holes clearly.

I would not use a microscope for most of my work the inconveniences far out weigh the benefits and it makes me feel almost detached from the item I'm working on but that's just my personnel  view. But they are very useful things to have.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:25 PM, GeorgeC said:

Who here uses a microscope for most of their repair work?  I step over to the diamond scope from time to time to check out a part that my double loop eyeglass setup won't magnify enough for my need.

I do the same as you, but I'd rather just use a loupe for general work. The microscope is great for inspection, oiling, cleaning, hairspring work etc. I made some extra attachments for the boom to be able to use it with the lathe, but I could not get used to it at all; it seemed to completely screw up my hand-eye coordination and muscle memory.. Some people seem to swear by it, so I may try again sometime in the future.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1