Armani Chronograph Help Please ?

This Armani chronograph has just come in, the winding stem & crown having been ripped out ! post-31-0-10386400-1409866474_thumb.jpg

The movement is a seiko VD53B, post-31-0-10386400-1409866474_thumb.jpg I've managed to identify the stem from cousins parts list as ; 0351-177 but can't find any reference to the crown and as it is missing, don't know which one to order ?,   

also as the stem has been ripped out is it likely to have caused any internal damage to the watch ?,  any advise would be greatly received.

Many thanks   Phil. 

post-31-0-29319500-1409867175_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-96905500-1409867878_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,

Here are the specs for the movement: vd53_tech_guide.pdf

Alternatively you can just swap it for the same one which is only about US$25. They come brand new with battery and stem that you will have to fit: http://www.esslinger.com/hattori-japan-vd53-quartz-watch-movement.aspx

As for the crown, you might want to either try with a distributor but it will be expensive or get a generic by estimation of the size. Here is what it might look like:

post-253-0-45027000-1409873833.jpg

I hope it helps!

For cheaper quartz movement (I know that "cheap" is relative), I would just replace the whole movement with a new one. And use the old one as a practice movement and spare parts. 

I'd go with that advice as well. Seiko quartz movements are comparatively cheap to source.

It makes sense to just change the movement as they are so cheap - at least then you can offer a sure guarantee to the customer.

As for the crown - if you cant get an original you will need to measure the pendant tube and estimate the original outside diameter of the old crown then determine the thread of the stem and order an aftermarket with those dimensions.

If there is a case number you could try to source an original - not sure if Armani has a service/parts department. These guys sell the straps - maybe they can help with a crown? http://watchpart.co.uk/emporio-armani-c-451_65_121.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update,

unable to get a genuine crown I took some measurements from the case, luckily there was a slight machined recess in the case where the crown sat so it gave me the diameter,

I ordered a generic grown & a genuine stem, when they arrived I cut & trimmed the stem to length and were pleased with the results  post-31-0-57979800-1410811250_thumb.jpg

A quick clean up, job done I thought !

then I went to press the back on and the glass broke !!   :(

The back was very hard to get off but I used the proper tool & it left no marks,

I've taken off the front bezel & glass and as the movement and dial come out through the front have removed it to avoid any further damage.

I've tried pressing the back onto the empty case but at the moment is refusing to go on !, I'm just having a pause for thought while waiting for the new crystal to arrive. :cigar:

Phil, sorry about your crystal, normally, when I have to use the press to close a watch I select the dice that will not touch the crystal, i.e. one with a well that only supports the bezel/body of the watch and a flat one as appropriate for the acutal back. This will avoid pressure on the crystal itself. Too big may be as bad as too small a die. So far I think you did a beautiful job!

By the way, the plastic ring that holds the crystal should be changed too since the old one may already be compressed to an unusable estate. Hope this helps.

Phil, sorry about your crystal, normally, when I have to use the press to close a watch I select the dice that will not touch the crystal, i.e. one with a well that only supports the bezel/body of the watch and a flat one as appropriate for the acutal back. This will avoid pressure on the crystal itself. Too big may be as bad as too small a die. So far I think you did a beautiful job!

By the way, the plastic ring that holds the crystal should be changed too since the old one may already be compressed to an unusable estate. Hope this helps.

Thanks for  your input & advice Bob, 

I'll post my results, 

best regards, Phil.  :)

After repeated attempts with my press the back of this watch just would NOT go on ! , I could see the centre of the nylon die flexing a bit like a diaphragm & being quite large (45mm) it was just absorbing the force.

I eventually used a small engineering clamp, it looked a bit Heath-Robinson but the back clicked into place easily on the first attempt. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

New crystal fitted, cleaned up, reassembled, etc, very pleased !.

Many thanks to all for your replies & advice, 

best regards,   Phil.

post-31-0-23804200-1411143649_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-32719700-1411143686_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hi just come  across this site, was interesting to read comments, Am unfortunately in same  situation  crown come off and lost it, now looking  to buy crown and stem for Armani Tazio watch, model number,AR6088.Any help from anyone be most appreciated, Thanks Gary

4 hours ago, Shando said:

Hi just come  across this site, was interesting to read comments, Am unfortunately in same  situation  crown come off and lost it, now looking  to buy crown and stem for Armani Tazio watch, model number,AR6088.Any help from anyone be most appreciated, Thanks Gary

If you read above there are names of parts suppliers.