TAG hands

I am new to horology and want make it my retirement hobby. This walk through has been a pleasure to read and digest.

My son in law has a Tag Heuer cap2110 Aqua Racer  with a 7750 movement which has been subjected to unskilled tampering.

As a first project this might be beyond my scope but with your walk through I am going to give it a go. My trade is microelectronics so I am use to small components. The tampering has damaged the hands   and has far as I can see  that is all that is wrong. The automatic bridge has been loosened so pinion and spindles are not located. The tampering is on the top side only so I may not need to remove anything on the face side to reposition the bridge. The only work on the face side will be hand replacement. Is there a supplier where I can obtain a set of hands? I would like to present my SiL with his watch intact and working.

I have a Bergeon kit with most of the tools I need. I will get the hand replacement tools Horoetech MSA 05.010 and MSA 05.011.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will comment as I go on the walk-through during watch repair and post here for your delectation on a job well done.

Once again many thanks.   

replacing hands (particularly the chronograph seconds hand and the minute counter) without proper support for the jewel can easily result in a dislocated or broken jewel. You really need a proper 7750 movement holder with jewel support to do this job right. It can be done without, but it's risky!

Hey Colditz,

Thanks for the kind words mate :) It's comments like these that make the time and effort all worth while.

I totally agree with sstakoff, you MUST use the proper movement holder when replacing the hands.  Damaging a jewel is a lot of extra work and extra tools/skills to correct it.  Better to play it safe and use the holder that supports those jewels.

The 7750 is an excellent movement to work on.  You're really taking the plunge into watch repair: this being your first movement, but take it slow and gentle, and follow the guide, and it's more than achievable with your background in microelectronics.  If you don't have the tools shown, you WILL need to purchase them, this is not a movement were you can "make do" with what you have available.  Also, if you do break a part, don't get upset, there are plenty of spares for the 7750 online, and everything is easy to replace  ... it's all a learning process.

Kindest Regards
Lawson :)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Colditz said:

My son in law has a Tag Heuer cap2110 Aqua Racer  with a 7750 movement which has been subjected to unskilled tampering.
As a first project this might be beyond my scope but with your walk through I am going to give it a go

I think that is very unreasonable for a beginner to try a first repair on such an expensive and complicated watch. Unskilled tampering is exactly the most likely result.

Also, I've moved postings to a new thread because they have nothing to do with 7750 servicing.

Hi Colditz

Welcome to the forum.

To be honest I'd personally hold back from having a crack at this one as an first go at watch repair. Plenty of cheaper stuff available to practice on first.

Your background on working on small will probably help you greatly so don't be put off, just maybe build up to it.

As far as parts, there's a list of suppliers on this site that Marc kindly put together. Must have web site's which should help you in deciding which to use.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

NAD

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you Nad for your comments.

Prior to reading your post I have started to disassemble a part of the watch and found that the reversing wheel has a broken spindle and the broken part is not visible and is missing. I also found that the jewel for the bridge that the spindle sits in has been dislodged and was inside the mechanism. I have carefully placed the jewel back into the bridge. I will need to purchase a new reversing wheel. The part number for this appears to be ETA7750 - 1488. Can someone confirm please?

I think if I am going to go ahead with this I should completely disassemble and check all parts for damage. I respect Nads comments but my SiL wants me to do it as he cannot afford the repair. I feel that I can do it and I do have great patience for fine work.

So with all due respect Nad I am going to give it a try. Lawson's walk through is truly amazing and I will follow it to the letter.

Things I do not have are the oils cleaning fluids and hand fitting tools recommended by sstakoff and spare watch parts.  I will purchase the tools and fluids. There seems to be a problem obtaining the Tag hands. Two of them are damaged/ bent the minute hand has lost the luminous material and is mal-formed. The second hand is just mal-formed. The hour and the 3 smaller hands are okay.

Q: Is the Moebius mechanical starter kit suitable for the 7750? If so I will get one. If not please advise on oils and applicators.

I will also post any damage I find and the re-assembly.

This image is borrowed from Lawsons to illustrate the broken spindle. I wondered if this could have been broken by a heavy impact such has striking a hard floor after dropping it, however I am more inclined to think unskilled fingers have been in attendance. :(

post-246-0-90338600-1433648153.jpg.cb3c2bd994086d35e54f330295707b07.jpg

I am really looking forward to doing this but I want to do it properly.

Once again many thanks for your advice guys. Have great Christmas.

• 2 months later...

IMG_4311.MOVIMG_4311.MOVHello all,

I did strip the watch 7750 movement down completely. I found a human hair about 4mm long  (not mine) in the watch that was purchased new from a high street jewellers and not only were the automatic bridge screws loose but most of the underside hand side also. My son in law insists he has never even attempted to gain access to the watch so how the hair got in there is an absolute mystery.

I purchased the Bergeon 1998 holder and the horotec hand setting tool. I purchased the Tag reversing gear from Cousins along with oils and oilers. Nearly all the tools I have are Bergeon. I have peg wood and Rodico.

I inspected all parts and cleaned the main plate and bridges thoroughly. Rinsed in Elma Suprol Pro. I re-assembled the movement as per Lawson video (thank you so much) and oiled as per ETA labs recommendations. Unfortunately the videos I took of the rebuild did not turn out. I will try and insert a pic of result. The hands did not turn up correctly as they sent hands for a Rolex and I cannot return them so still looking for a hand set that will suit. If you have info please let me know.

Once again a great big thanks must go to Lawson. My son in law now has his Tag Heuer Aqua Racer working on his wrist.

I am now going to attempt a clean and repair to an Omega Geneve Automatic wrist watch made in 1972. It belongs to a friend of mine and has not worked for 25 years, so wish me luck and I'll let you know the outcome.

I love this forum!