Before And After Restoration Photos?

I'm in much the same stage as Bob. I bought a 7s26-0030 diver from a seller in the Philippines with the idea that it would be a fun restore project.

7s26-0030-1.jpg

7s26-0030-2.jpg

7s26-0030-3.jpg

It was a non runner when I got it and I think this is the main culprit.

pallet.jpg

Pieces of the broken pallet jewel had gotten wedged in the train wheels.

Here's another pick of the pallet.

Pallet_match.jpg

I lost the bezel click while cleaning the case in my ultrasonic, so I'm currently trying to make a replacement. I'm also looking for a good deal on a 4 o'clock crown 7s26 movement for parts. I hope to have some "after" pictures sometime this year. I'm thinking of replacing the dial and hands with a Tudor Snowflake set from Dagaz.

Check out this excellent thread on restoring Citizen 8200 divers:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/citizen-8200-auto-200m-diver-s-service-restoration-31-jewels-794826.html

• Like 1

In my case, I just got a little ahead of myself. I'm still very much a beginner, but I couldn't wait to tear into that watch. I could buy a brand new Seiko SNK809 for about $50 and use the movement from that one, but I'll learn more and hopefully have more fun rebuilding it myself and replacing parts as necessary.

I look at watch restoration as a hobby not unlike classic car restoration only it takes a lot less space and money.

• Like 1

The pallet is not too much though, usually it is cheaper ordering from cousinsUK than from our US suppliers (frei, esslinger et al). Of course only if you really want to have 2 of each complete.

I've found the pallets are a main source of grief on those ebay Seikos, that in addition to the magic lever and the second reduction wheel and pinion. The first is too worn at the hole and doesn't "turn" right and the second is usually rusted and the teeth are also worn where the magic lever has made contact. All this applies to "run a little but stops" type of Seikos. Sometimes a good cleaning and lube will cure some which turn into quite good runners. One thing I do is use a fiberglass brush to remove the rust from the parts and if they are not pitted or damaged then I reuse them. All privided they can be restored to a pristine quality.

In any case, the most challenging part of all for me is the dial. Some of them are so far gone I simply get an aftermarket one. When I get everything well restored and doing well in the time grapher I might put some in ebay but it is taking some time now.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks... Glad I checked in this morning .

Ok, I went through my 7s26 yesterday and was very happy with the out come ..

However , my bezel seems not to turn very well.

Any ideals ?? After removing the bezel from the case I found a small hole with a small spring , small tube and a very small ball bearing ? I have cleaned greased . Still not working properly .

What y'all think?