Cracked Jewel? Elgin Pocketwatch - 1927 grade 479

Salvatore

Hello sweet geniuses. I have some questions: Is this what a cracked jewel looks like? (Photos included from both sides). Assuming this is a crack: Can the watch possibly still be functional? And if not: must I replace the entire main plate or can I push the jewel out and find a replacement? This is the jewel for the escape wheel. As you can see, unlike some of the jewels on this watch that are held in with screws, this one looks pressed in to my novice eye.

Thanks!

48AA446D-DE00-4225-A866-710AA2B6EDCE.jpeg

FFE86880-2E20-43DF-A895-4DBEF784CA72.jpeg

Yes for the question of is this a cracked jewel it does appear to be one. For the question of can it be functional that gets to be more interesting question. Look at the pivot that goes into this jewel and how does that look? We really need to see the inside side of the jewel hole to see if it's really going to be a problem. A lot of times even though yes technically it's broken or cracked the inside is still smooth the pivot is still smooth it really isn't a problem. If this was a modern watch with a pressed in jewel changing it would be no problem. This one appears to be a burnished in jewel for which if you're curious you can do a search in the discussion group it's been discussed before.

So depending upon how you answer the questions I have above means either your going to do nothing or replacement options? Then if you look at your main plate it has a serial number you'll find the serial number on a lot of the parts in the watch so swapping the main plate screws up the serial numbers. Then the main plate was never considered a replaceable part. Then even though these were considered mass-produced interchangeable parts even if you did find another main plate it may or may not even fit. If you look at the videos of assembling early watches there's a lot of hand fitting and hand adjusting.