Seiko 6139-6009 to do or not to do???

Johnnie

Hi all. I found and purchased this 6139-6009 a couple of months back and can't make my mind up what is the best thing to do with it. Everything thing works perfectly except for the sleepy date wheel that turns but is out of sync and needs sorting obviously.  However my question is as you can see buy the photos she is a bit battered around the bezel and the crystal is heavily marked, should I replace the crystal, bezel, and bezel insert or leave her as she is ? Many thanks.IMG_20171018_185242.thumb.jpg.0902c475f11103afe2eced3af6fe236a.jpg JohnnieIMG_20171018_185703.thumb.jpg.618df8eb9e2f9cfb134fca533d73e708.jpgIMG_20171018_185300.thumb.jpg.f17b93ab312371f25879bf3b03e915d0.jpg

Crystal change is a definite task for me. As for the bezel insert, depends on what the dial is like under that crystal. If it's as nice as I suspect I'd get a decent insert but keep the old one in case I wanted to sell the watch on as it'd probably add a bit of value.

Or you could just sell the whole watch to me for next to nothing and I'd take the problem off of your hands!

• Like 1

I’d do Mark’s course AND get a bit of experience under your belt. A 6139 is not the simplest. Nor the most complicated for sure, but you want to be comfortable and confident before hitting anything that’s vintage as replacement parts are naturally slightly more difficult to come by than current movements (the Swatch controversy notwithstanding).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Pip. Yes you are right and I will do Mark's courses first. I have been "tinkering" with Seiko 5's as they can be found cheaply and they are plentiful on eBay. At the same time I am trying to build up a collection of decent watches to progress on to when I am confident and my skills match my enthusiasm. So far I have had some successful outcomes that I am pleased with, but in fairness they wouldn't have happened without the excellent advice I have received from members of this forum and I can't thank them enough. 

• Like 1

Hands look like they've been painted?

Problem with chronos in general is the seconds hand needs to be a tight fit to cope with the 'snap' when re-setting. New original Seiko ones are not easy to find and aftermarket ones are of doubtful quality. So if you are doing it yourself you need to be careful when fitting it back on. Movement holders are useful for chronos.

Anilv

Edited by anilv
  • Like 1

Hi Anilv, I have no idea about the hands, I am not that experienced to be able to tell if painted or not, but I am ok with them as they are. I do have various types of movement holders including a couple specifically for Seiko's. My intention at present having thought about all advice given above is to only change the crystal and see how much difference it makes. There seem to be two opinions about watches, on one hand leave watches as they are warts and all, or on the other hand sympathetically restore them. Best regards. Johnnie

Bought one a month ago from one of my work mates and I love it. The only issue that i have with it is that it falls behind with aprox 1 minute over 24H and the balance wheel has a weird rotation to it (maybe this is why it's loosing time).

Trying to find a replacement balance wheel and run a full service on it.

Other than that, congrats on your purchase and I hope you'll enjoy it :)

Andrei.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AndreiMartin said:

The only issue that i have with it is that it falls behind with aprox 1 minute over 24H and the balance wheel has a weird rotation to it (maybe this is why it's loosing time).

Trying to find a replacement balance wheel and run a full service on it.

If you can eyeball a balance oscillating "weird" either you surpass a timegrapher, or the amplitude is so low to be unacceptable. But one  can't know what has to be replaced before examining all parts with the required experience.

1 minute ago, jdm said:

If you can eyeball a balance oscillating "weird" either you surpass a timegrapher, or the amplitude is so low to be unacceptable. But one  can't know what has to be replaced before examining all parts with the required experience.

By weird I mean, it has a dent on one of the sides. Put it though slow motion footage and the balance wheel it's not perfectly round

1 minute ago, AndreiMartin said:

By weird I mean, it has a dent on one of the sides. Put it though slow motion footage and the balance wheel it's not perfectly round

Good finding, check it on a timegrapher or equivalent application to have your observations confirmed.

BTW we also have an introductions sections for new members.

9 minutes ago, jdm said:

Good finding, check it on a timegrapher or equivalent application to have your observations confirmed.

BTW we also have an introductions sections for new members.

Introduced myself :D

I don't have a timegrapher at the moment but I am tempted to buy a replacement balance wheel. Kind of worried about the shape of it. Also parts for this movement seem so hard to find... :(

25 minutes ago, AndreiMartin said:

I don't have a timegrapher at the moment but I am tempted to buy a replacement balance wheel. Kind of worried about the shape of it. Also parts for this movement seem so hard to find... :(

Just curious if this would be the first mov.t you would be working on? As that isn't advisable for a piece that is valuable or important for the owner.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:20 PM, jdm said:

Just curious if this would be the first mov.t you would be working on? As that isn't advisable for a piece that is valuable or important for the owner.

Not my first movement but I want to take this one to someone much more professional than me to service it. Just wanted too look for some parts in advance.

1 hour ago, AndreiMartin said:

Not my first movement but I want to take this one to someone much more professional than me to service it. Just wanted too look for some parts in advance.

Then let the professional tell you what is needed and what is not. Or take it in your hands and check each part carefully after disassembly.