New Videos On The Way

Well after a marathon break I am almost ready to get started again with Youtube. My latest problem has been my computer which was giving me problems.

I have now had to buy a replacement, this time I have opted for a Macbook instead of a desktop Mac. I'm liking it a lot, I have put an SSD in it and maxed out the Ram and it flies like a champ. Just one problem - the screen is only 13" and it doesn't connect to my desktop monitor without a special cable. So I am waiting for a new adapter from an eBay seller. This 13" jobby is no good for video editing - everythings so tight. My desktop screen is 22" which is an improvement but I saw that 27" Mac display in the macstore and just started drooling!

Will have to save for a long time for one of those!

Anyway - sorry for taking so long to get back up and running - service will resume soon :D

• Like 1

Hello!

I feel it's "make a wish" moment!

Here goes:

I wish you would make a vid on a 2892-A2 service. You covered this movement, but from a long distance. We want a "très gros plan".

I wish you would make a vid on the basics of the hairspring manipulation and regulating a watch.

I wish I had a Nomos Tangente!

and the list goes on and on and on....

:) Thank you!

Bogdan

p.s. Huuuge amount of usefull information and technique in your vids!

Edited by matabog

• 2 weeks later...

Anything on good technique is always appreciated in vids. I watched a video set a while back (not yours!), but in the space of a few weeks, I've realised that the maker had a lot of bad habits like using wrong sized screwdrivers, fingers on movement, over oiling, adding back the hands to a moving watch and not correctly aligning them, using tweezers when they were obviously dirty, etc. It's this kind of learning curve that has me deferring just jumping in and breaking stuff out of old fashioned ignorance. Even simple stuff in vids like when and when not to use different tweezers is information that beginners really do absorb and remember. I know one common jumping in point in my initial reading recommended a brass tweezer - solely to be used for removing cannon pinions and nothing else. In hindsight, probably extremely wrong for THAT to be a beginners sole impression.

Hey Mark,

Any update on new videos coming out mate?  I need to feed my addiction you know :P

Hi Mate -

Short answer.. Very soon, it's almost all i'm thinking about.

Longer answer (get your tissues out)...

well I am having a bit of bad luck IT wise. As mentioned, I changed to a Macbook after having problems with my Desktop and this has opened up a few new problems most of which I have worked around. But the biggest problem I am having is lag making it impossibly slow to render. I have 16GB ram and am using an SSD but still getting lag and this is due to the amount of video ram I have and this is not upgradable! I am really frustrated at the moment with it.

** Queue the violins ** Sad Music ** Will - add a dirge in Em **

My old desktop had 2GB of Video ram and this laptop has just 256MB (I could not afford any better - watchmakers don't earn enough lol).

I have started saving for a new MB Pro but this will take me months - but my immediate workaround is to ditch Final Cut Pro X (something I took ages to train on (thanks Linda.com)) and installed Adobe Premiere which has shown better performance with my setup. So I have got the Linda.com training for Premiere and am going through it at the moment.

Hmmm. Annoyingly, or not, depending on your point of view, Apple Macs hold their value really well over time. So you could try selling both the MacBook and your Mac Pro and then get a (used?) iMac or 15" MBP? According to some people I know, the Retina displays are worth getting (or waiting for)...

Great to hear you getting back into uploading your tutorial videos again Mark, that is great news!

Talking of Mac's, I have gone the other way, just upgraded from my 2009 17" MBP to a 27" iMac, and loving it, loads of screen real estate now for those photos.  Waiting on a wall bracket to arrive, and then it will be set up to the one side of my work benches.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear you getting back into uploading your tutorial videos again Mark, that is great news!

Talking of Mac's, I have gone the other way, just upgraded from my 2009 17" MBP to a 27" iMac, and loving it, loads of screen real estate now for those photos.  Waiting on a wall bracket to arrive, and then it will be set up to the one side of my work benches.

That's awesome.

The 27" mac display's are so amazing (from what I have seen in the Mac store).

But alas - I cannot afford (justify to the wife) a better Macbook at the moment and my situation is pretty unworkable. It is taking me so long just to edit and render a few videos.

I will keep my current Macbook and just for video production I am going to build a Hackintosh (I built one before and it was great).

So I just ordered the parts from Scan:

CPU: 4790K 4Ghz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87N-WIFI

256GB SSD

Graphics: 2GB MSI GTX 770

Coolermaster Mini-Itx case + 650W PSU

And next week I should be able to get a 4K monitor - i'm thinking something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iiyama-Prolite-B2888UHSU-B1-4K-28-inch-LED-Monitor-3840-x-2160-1ms-Speakers-/111467662810?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors&hash=item19f3fd8dda

Altogether about £1600 cheaper than a MacPro, maybe more. Even so, it will still take about a year of Adsense payments to pay for it :( but it's all good fun :)