Need help with Tokyobay watch repair (Miyota IL45 internals)

jgordon00

Hi guys,

First time watch repairer here. My Tokyobay watch shown in the photo below needed a new battery. So I got the new battery, popped open the back, and popped out the old battery. Unfortunately, somehow while this was going on, I caused the minute hand and the other small hand (not sure it's purpose) to fall off! And I have no idea how to fix this (though very happy to try anything).

The inside of this is a Miyota IL45 and I assumed the first thing I'd need to do is get the stem disconnected from the movement. I tried pushing a pin in some of the holes and gently tugging on the crown/stem to get it out. But it didn't work and I have no idea where the release is. So that would be the first step I think...

After that, I don't know how to get at the hands to put them back in place. So that's the harder step two.

Would very much appreciate any help on this. From what I can tell, this watch doesn't seem to be very repairable. But hoping you guys can guide me!

MVIMG_20171212_194808.jpg

MVIMG_20171212_194657.jpg

Hmmm. We’ve all had that happen. The movement isn’t securely attached to the dial and when the movement moves outward at all, the dial pulls the hands off. You will have to remove the movement/dial once you get the stem out. Then you can reattach the hands.
Look into that oblong hole to the right side of the stem in your photo. Watch inside it when you pull the stem in and out and you should see a tiny lever with a really tiny hole in it moving back and forth. There even may be an arrow on the movement pointing toward that hole. When you see the lever plainly and see the hole in it, put a toothpick tip or tiny screwdriver tip and apply a little pressure there. Then the stem should slip right out. That hole sometimes appears when the stem is pulled in the setting position, sometimes in the normal position. That’s why you have to pull the stem in and out to see when it appears. After you get everything out, you can fit the hands back in place, noting the proper position for their placement so they line up properly. Hour hand on an hour marker and minute hand at 12. Seconds should be at 12 when the minute hand is on a minute marker. At least you don’t have the added complication of a date. Good luck. Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for this, Steve. I was able to get the stem freed following your guidance. So now I have the housing in front of me but no idea how to slide this out from the glass. I don't see any notches or obvious ways to separate the rest of the watch so I can get at the hands. Any ideas? Is it possible the whole thing is glued tight?

New photo attached...

MVIMG_20171212_204950.jpg

I’m assuming that you cant just lift the dial out at this stage? Don’t try pulling too hard on those pins (dial feet) on the back of the dial, as the dial will be quite thin and you will likely damage it that way, but give a gentle tug to see if it will come out.  If not, then it’s hard to tell from these pictures but it looks like the dial is larger than the hole in the back of the case. If that is so, then the only way to access the front of the dial will be to remove the glass or front of the case.

We may need more pictures showing a side view of the case. Is there any sign of a join around the front of the case? If so, is there a notch to help you lift off the case front like you did the back? These can be quite discreet and obscured by the strap for example.

Hmmm. It should fall out through the back. How hard did you try? Sometimes the dial is a friction fit and requires a little fiddling, but don’t damage it or those pins that hold the movement in place. It really doesn’t look like it would come out from the front but it’s hard to tell from the photo. You could measure it from the back and the front to see if it is indeed larger than the back.

2 hours ago, jgordon00 said:

I'm hoping this might help to get some advice from you all on how to get at the front with the hands. Let me know what you think!

As mentioned above already, it's a front loader, the crystal needs to be removed. Since you don't have the tools or the experience needed, I recommend that you give it to a repair shop.

• Like 1

Now it does appear to be a two piece case. The top ring will have to be pried away from the bottom one. There could be a narrow notch on the ring between either of the lugs, that would be used to start it off. It would probably be press fit and the crystal would come away with the top ring.