Jump to content

Loupe / eyeglass / eyepiece


Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

i am about to start on replacing balance staffs and jewels over the next couple of months. I noticed in marks video on replacing staffs he use a eyeglass to check the rivet is ok. 

I have just tried my old eyeglass its a x7 and a x10 and they seem the same to me, To get any kind of vision through the x7 you need to be near enough to be touching what you want to view with the eyeglass and then the view is not big enough. so i used the x10 and its bigger from the same position than the x7 (nearness) but blurred as to be know use. so if i move back to get a clear view its just the same magnification as the x7 just further away.

So what am i missing and is there a solution.  more magnification x20 x40?

cheers

gary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, gary17 said:

Hi guys 

i am about to start on replacing balance staffs and jewels over the next couple of months. I noticed in marks video on replacing staffs he use a eyeglass to check the rivet is ok. 

I have just tried my old eyeglass its a x7 and a x10 and they seem the same to me, To get any kind of vision through the x7 you need to be near enough to be touching what you want to view with the eyeglass and then the view is not big enough. so i used the x10 and its bigger from the same position than the x7 (nearness) but blurred as to be know use. so if i move back to get a clear view its just the same magnification as the x7 just further away.

So what am i missing and is there a solution.  more magnification x20 x40?

cheers

gary

I have used these for years, x10 to start and x25 to finish teh pivots. Cheap and effective. I also remove one side for work where i am no afraid of scards of metal from the lathe.  Check out my lathe videos.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a lot of difference between one manufacturer's x10 and another's. Same goes for any other magnification. In my experience, the whole thing is a bit of a minefield. You buy a handful of different magnifications, and discard the ones which are no use for one reason  or another, then guard the good ones with your life, whatever x-factor is written on the box.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite hi power loupes are Asco aplanetic (the achromats are awesome too). They aren't cheap but they're goood. I use them mostly for checking positioning of staffs on the jacot tool, or a quick check of things at the bench that don't warrant shifting to the microscope.  10x most of the time, 12x sometimes. There are loupes to 20x or more but I think they are a vestige of a time when binocular scopes in the 7-30x range were rare and expensive. I think somewhere I have a 30x loupe but I just got it as a curiosity.

 

I wouldn't work with one though, just for inspection. I've had a microscope over my lathe since I was in school last century, literally couldn't work without it. Ain't no loupe gonna help cutting a Piaget 9P staff at 1.60mm total length haha.

http://www.schurch-asco.com/e-shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=114_115_226&osCsid=604fcd0e090a4d4fefae3feb8ce1c5b6

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jdrichard said:

These ones...forgot the picture

10A94C20-5ACC-423A-9611-0A9531BE16C0.jpeg

so you close one eye or the other back and forth? do your eyes get tired from this?

 

49 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

My favorite hi power loupes are Asco aplanetic

are they really that much clearer, or less distortion that a non aplantic loupe? curious about that..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

are they really that much clearer, or less distortion that a non aplantic loupe? curious about that..

I really notice a difference, they just have a nicer undistorted image. In the Schurch catalog they have their H2 loupes that look like regular loupes but are double lens and 10 or 14x; though they have larger lenses I find the distorted field around the central view pretty distracting and uncomfortable for the eye.

 

I have two every day loupes for general work that I go back and forth with, both were made by Wild Heerbrug who unfortanately don't make loupes like this anymore. One is a 3x simple double convex lens, the other a 5x with a pair of plano-convex lenses. Not many makers bothered to use a pair of lenses for 5x; I don't know if it's a true aplanatic but the image is great. Most of the time I just stick with the 3x.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • jdm changed the title to Loupe / eyeglass / eyepiece
  • jdm pinned this topic

I use a microscope for jewels also.  Outside of that, I kinda built up my supplies on a shoestring budget.  I have some strong reading glasses for when I just need to see what I'm doing close-up. I also have a headset magnifier that Sarah got for me. I have a couple triplet loupes in my tool chest. But, this'll sound weird, the magnifier I seem to grab the most is a little lens array that I salvaged from an old video recorder. It's even more powerful than any loupe I have. I can even make out cracks in jewels (but I still use the microscope for a better look). It's ideal for initial inspections.  But generally, with my astigmatism and other eye issues, I like to keep a variety of things around and grab whichever one I need to, so as to get the view I desire.  I need lots of options.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I really notice a difference, they just have a nicer undistorted image. In the Schurch catalog they have their H2 loupes that look like regular loupes but are double lens and 10 or 14x; though they have larger lenses I find the distorted field around the central view pretty distracting and uncomfortable for the eye.

 

I have two every day loupes for general work that I go back and forth with, both were made by Wild Heerbrug who unfortanately don't make loupes like this anymore. One is a 3x simple double convex lens, the other a 5x with a pair of plano-convex lenses. Not many makers bothered to use a pair of lenses for 5x; I don't know if it's a true aplanatic but the image is great. Most of the time I just stick with the 3x.

I may have to give a serious look. As I mentioned elsewhere, I always seem to be on a perpetual hunt for the perfect loupe, because my eyes have well... kept up with my age. True they are expensive but if it's the last one I would own, to me it's worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rodabod said:

I find they are a bit like tweezers - you have to try several. Nowadays I mainly use an AF branded loupe for coarse work.

Peak microscope with 100x eyepiece for pivot/jewel work.

Yes, it depends on everyone's needs and comfort. I did those before :

1- Ordered 4x and 10x from Aliexpress. Very cheap, magnification of 10x feel like 5x and glass has some staining on the reflective coating.

2- Ordered an 4x aluminium and 10x H1 directly from Asco. They are great compared to the cheap ones but still struggling to use it comfortably with loupe holder.

3- While ordering a bunch of tools and supplies at a canadian material house, I stumbled on clip-on loupes which isn't expensive so I ordered a 4x clip-on. I also bought a 3.5x reading glasses at a drugstore. This is my perfect setup and view is great (3.5x glasses is good by itself for general work and with the 4x, I can get close enough even on the tiniest parts. I still use the Asco 10x for closer inspection.

4- I also bought a cheap electronic microscope from Amazon and while magnification is good enough, handling and illumination is something i really struggle as I need to look on my iPad for the view and the direction seems reversed both ways, making it hard to coordinate hand-eye movement under it.

I'm currently thinking about buying a stereo microscope for inspection to replace the cheap electronic microscope. Not sure which one is a good option.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I use a microscope for jewels also.  Outside of that, I kinda built up my supplies on a shoestring budget.  I have some strong reading glasses for when I just need to see what I'm doing close-up. I also have a headset magnifier that Sarah got for me. I have a couple triplet loupes in my tool chest. But, this'll sound weird, the magnifier I seem to grab the most is a little lens array that I salvaged from an old video recorder. It's even more powerful than any loupe I have. I can even make out cracks in jewels (but I still use the microscope for a better look). It's ideal for initial inspections.  But generally, with my astigmatism and other eye issues, I like to keep a variety of things around and grab whichever one I need to, so as to get the view I desire.  I need lots of options.

This might just be true for me also. We'll see. Excuse unintended pun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2020 at 3:51 AM, nickelsilver said:

I really notice a difference, they just have a nicer undistorted image.

So, after this conversation, I went ahead and purchased a Bergeon aplantic from ofrei, 4X at 2.5" and yes, there is noticeably less outer view distortion with it. not bad. not bad at all. I've swapped it out with a regular loupe and use it now with a holder ring and is in my regular rotation of loupes, cheaters with clip-ons, mag visors and my scope lol. I think I'll wind up being "that guy" with a huge collection of loupes all over the place, using one for this, one for that...

one thing I do do though, is drill tiny holes all around the periphery. not many, just a few. it helps a great deal with relieving the fog build up I seem to get all the time. I have one that came with a large opening but I'm not a fan. it's distracting. but the tiny holes work for me. 

thanks for the aplantic tip. I might look into others.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

So, after this conversation, I went ahead and purchased a Bergeon aplantic from ofrei, 4X at 2.5" and yes, there is noticeably less outer view distortion with it. not bad. not bad at all.

I only use them to check alignment while using punches & staking tool as it's almost (ALMOST) impossible to use microscope in such cases. But still possible ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Poljot said:

I only use them to check alignment while using punches & staking tool as it's almost (ALMOST) impossible to use microscope in such cases. But still possible ?

Lol the only thing i use my scope for is inspection. I can't fit everything under there and I sure as heck haven't mastered the art of hand-to-eye-thru-microscope thingy yet lol?

You mess with your lume project yet? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Lol the only thing i use my scope for is inspection. I can't fit everything under there and I sure as heck haven't mastered the art of hand-to-eye-thru-microscope thingy yet lol?

You mess with your lume project yet? 

It depends on the microscope - some probably are not so good, or simply not suitable for watch repair. My Meiji with light is amazing for watch repair related tasks.

No, not yet, as i've decided to leave my Omega as-is, and i do not have any other candidates to experiment with lume. Besides, i have finally received my "lost" parcels almost 6 weeks after ordering them from UK. I don't want to order anything before Christmas & New Year as it will take forever thanks to "speedy" Mail service. I have a joke about Royal Mail & Canada Post, but it's still in-transit between UK and Canada.. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Poljot said:

It depends on the microscope - some probably are not so good, or simply not suitable for watch repair. My Meiji with light is amazing for watch repair related tasks.

No, not yet, as i've decided to leave my Omega as-is, and i do not have any other candidates to experiment with lume. Besides, i have finally received my "lost" parcels almost 6 weeks after ordering them from UK. I don't want to order anything before Christmas & New Year as it will take forever thanks to "speedy" Mail service. I have a joke about Royal Mail & Canada Post, but it's still in-transit between UK and Canada.. ?

It's not looking good for the home team either. The Hampden jewels are still lost in space and was even sent a second pair, with no sign of them. 

Hey good choice on the Omega! Kudos! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Dear all,

for me wearing glasses one of the best designs for a watchmaker's loupe is the old English style. Two lenses - 50 and 100mm focal length - that can be swung into place before the spectacle lens. Three magnifications at your fingertips. Cousins sells those.

89164193_Screenshot_2021-03-07-15-43-21-491_com.opera.browser01.thumb.jpg.ff87bfbcc113b129d028da91e3a94b2e.jpg

However those are so cheaply made there's no joy using them. Cheap lenses, cheap mechanics, flimsy clip. Does anyone know of a brand that makes them the proper way? 

Thanks and all the best from Hamburg

Alex

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I was wondering what this tool is for?    Some kind of runner?
    • The JLC sealed barrels I've dealt with are sealed, with the lip burnished over like Nevenbekriev says. They can be opened, but you have to push the lip more open to get the lid to seat again correctly and it's still a bit hairy. They aren't as bad as Zodiac (those you can forget about opening much less closing without issue).   The chances of mucking it up are high enough that it's probably safest just to add a little lubricant at the arbor and call it good.
    • I have a few pin pallets,they are challenging to get any half decent reading on a tg, thats part of the allure of them for me  you can see here the trace is not that good, the lines are a little dotted around, though i have had better on a couple of others. You just have to live with what you can get, when you watch how the pallet pin releases the escape teeth you will understand why, it has no finesse. The tolerances make Russian watches look like Rolexes 🤣. The amplitude is a bit of a guess as there is no lift angle for the Oris 291 anywhere, visually the impulse pin is reaching to around 3/4 of a beat possibly a little more, this is due entirely to the mainspring i put in ( likely it will shake itself to pieces if keep fully winding the movement. But generally 220- 240 would be about the average I've managed to get up to now besides this , so no not as high a swiss lever for me anyway, maybe they're not designed for it, they are cheap movements. If they keep to a minute a day thats probably good, though my Smiths Empire after a lot of adjustment over time has reached within a minute of accurate per week a couple of times, precision record has averaged at approx 4 minutes per week over 2 months so 2 minutes either side of accurate time.  Good question oh i wondered that myself , i can only assume its from something else . The 261 and 292 are sweep seconds, i wonder if the cannon pinion is the same from them ?
    • Ok, I'm glad. It then looks like you are in a good place with the client/friend. That's the key. And also my approach with friends/clients.   Yes, I also understand that, too. But if it's not a question of being stingy, but only impatient, I'd maybe urge him/her even more towards the virtue of patience. It would be worth it. But you are right, just wait until you can open it and you'll (hopefully?) find good reasons to recommend the full service at this moment. 
×
×
  • Create New...