Loupe / eyeglass / eyepiece

Hi guys 

i am about to start on replacing balance staffs and jewels over the next couple of months. I noticed in marks video on replacing staffs he use a eyeglass to check the rivet is ok. 

I have just tried my old eyeglass its a x7 and a x10 and they seem the same to me, To get any kind of vision through the x7 you need to be near enough to be touching what you want to view with the eyeglass and then the view is not big enough. so i used the x10 and its bigger from the same position than the x7 (nearness) but blurred as to be know use. so if i move back to get a clear view its just the same magnification as the x7 just further away.

So what am i missing and is there a solution.  more magnification x20 x40?

cheers

gary

46 minutes ago, gary17 said:

Hi guys 

i am about to start on replacing balance staffs and jewels over the next couple of months. I noticed in marks video on replacing staffs he use a eyeglass to check the rivet is ok. 

I have just tried my old eyeglass its a x7 and a x10 and they seem the same to me, To get any kind of vision through the x7 you need to be near enough to be touching what you want to view with the eyeglass and then the view is not big enough. so i used the x10 and its bigger from the same position than the x7 (nearness) but blurred as to be know use. so if i move back to get a clear view its just the same magnification as the x7 just further away.

So what am i missing and is there a solution.  more magnification x20 x40?

cheers

gary

I have used these for years, x10 to start and x25 to finish teh pivots. Cheap and effective. I also remove one side for work where i am no afraid of scards of metal from the lathe.  Check out my lathe videos.

• Like 2

There is a lot of difference between one manufacturer's x10 and another's. Same goes for any other magnification. In my experience, the whole thing is a bit of a minefield. You buy a handful of different magnifications, and discard the ones which are no use for one reason  or another, then guard the good ones with your life, whatever x-factor is written on the box.

• Like 2

My favorite hi power loupes are Asco aplanetic (the achromats are awesome too). They aren't cheap but they're goood. I use them mostly for checking positioning of staffs on the jacot tool, or a quick check of things at the bench that don't warrant shifting to the microscope.  10x most of the time, 12x sometimes. There are loupes to 20x or more but I think they are a vestige of a time when binocular scopes in the 7-30x range were rare and expensive. I think somewhere I have a 30x loupe but I just got it as a curiosity.

I wouldn't work with one though, just for inspection. I've had a microscope over my lathe since I was in school last century, literally couldn't work without it. Ain't no loupe gonna help cutting a Piaget 9P staff at 1.60mm total length haha.

http://www.schurch-asco.com/e-shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=114_115_226&osCsid=604fcd0e090a4d4fefae3feb8ce1c5b6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdrichard said:

These ones...forgot the picture

10A94C20-5ACC-423A-9611-0A9531BE16C0.jpeg

so you close one eye or the other back and forth? do your eyes get tired from this?

49 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

My favorite hi power loupes are Asco aplanetic

are they really that much clearer, or less distortion that a non aplantic loupe? curious about that..

8 hours ago, MechanicMike said:

are they really that much clearer, or less distortion that a non aplantic loupe? curious about that..

I really notice a difference, they just have a nicer undistorted image. In the Schurch catalog they have their H2 loupes that look like regular loupes but are double lens and 10 or 14x; though they have larger lenses I find the distorted field around the central view pretty distracting and uncomfortable for the eye.

I have two every day loupes for general work that I go back and forth with, both were made by Wild Heerbrug who unfortanately don't make loupes like this anymore. One is a 3x simple double convex lens, the other a 5x with a pair of plano-convex lenses. Not many makers bothered to use a pair of lenses for 5x; I don't know if it's a true aplanatic but the image is great. Most of the time I just stick with the 3x.

• Thanks 1

• jdm changed the title to Loupe / eyeglass / eyepiece
  • jdm pinned this topic

I use a microscope for jewels also.  Outside of that, I kinda built up my supplies on a shoestring budget.  I have some strong reading glasses for when I just need to see what I'm doing close-up. I also have a headset magnifier that Sarah got for me. I have a couple triplet loupes in my tool chest. But, this'll sound weird, the magnifier I seem to grab the most is a little lens array that I salvaged from an old video recorder. It's even more powerful than any loupe I have. I can even make out cracks in jewels (but I still use the microscope for a better look). It's ideal for initial inspections.  But generally, with my astigmatism and other eye issues, I like to keep a variety of things around and grab whichever one I need to, so as to get the view I desire.  I need lots of options.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I really notice a difference, they just have a nicer undistorted image. In the Schurch catalog they have their H2 loupes that look like regular loupes but are double lens and 10 or 14x; though they have larger lenses I find the distorted field around the central view pretty distracting and uncomfortable for the eye.

I have two every day loupes for general work that I go back and forth with, both were made by Wild Heerbrug who unfortanately don't make loupes like this anymore. One is a 3x simple double convex lens, the other a 5x with a pair of plano-convex lenses. Not many makers bothered to use a pair of lenses for 5x; I don't know if it's a true aplanatic but the image is great. Most of the time I just stick with the 3x.

I may have to give a serious look. As I mentioned elsewhere, I always seem to be on a perpetual hunt for the perfect loupe, because my eyes have well... kept up with my age. True they are expensive but if it's the last one I would own, to me it's worth it.

4 hours ago, rodabod said:

I find they are a bit like tweezers - you have to try several. Nowadays I mainly use an AF branded loupe for coarse work.

Peak microscope with 100x eyepiece for pivot/jewel work.

Yes, it depends on everyone's needs and comfort. I did those before :

1- Ordered 4x and 10x from Aliexpress. Very cheap, magnification of 10x feel like 5x and glass has some staining on the reflective coating.

2- Ordered an 4x aluminium and 10x H1 directly from Asco. They are great compared to the cheap ones but still struggling to use it comfortably with loupe holder.

3- While ordering a bunch of tools and supplies at a canadian material house, I stumbled on clip-on loupes which isn't expensive so I ordered a 4x clip-on. I also bought a 3.5x reading glasses at a drugstore. This is my perfect setup and view is great (3.5x glasses is good by itself for general work and with the 4x, I can get close enough even on the tiniest parts. I still use the Asco 10x for closer inspection.

4- I also bought a cheap electronic microscope from Amazon and while magnification is good enough, handling and illumination is something i really struggle as I need to look on my iPad for the view and the direction seems reversed both ways, making it hard to coordinate hand-eye movement under it.

I'm currently thinking about buying a stereo microscope for inspection to replace the cheap electronic microscope. Not sure which one is a good option.

5 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I use a microscope for jewels also.  Outside of that, I kinda built up my supplies on a shoestring budget.  I have some strong reading glasses for when I just need to see what I'm doing close-up. I also have a headset magnifier that Sarah got for me. I have a couple triplet loupes in my tool chest. But, this'll sound weird, the magnifier I seem to grab the most is a little lens array that I salvaged from an old video recorder. It's even more powerful than any loupe I have. I can even make out cracks in jewels (but I still use the microscope for a better look). It's ideal for initial inspections.  But generally, with my astigmatism and other eye issues, I like to keep a variety of things around and grab whichever one I need to, so as to get the view I desire.  I need lots of options.

This might just be true for me also. We'll see. Excuse unintended pun.

On 12/11/2020 at 3:51 AM, nickelsilver said:

I really notice a difference, they just have a nicer undistorted image.

So, after this conversation, I went ahead and purchased a Bergeon aplantic from ofrei, 4X at 2.5" and yes, there is noticeably less outer view distortion with it. not bad. not bad at all. I've swapped it out with a regular loupe and use it now with a holder ring and is in my regular rotation of loupes, cheaters with clip-ons, mag visors and my scope lol. I think I'll wind up being "that guy" with a huge collection of loupes all over the place, using one for this, one for that...

one thing I do do though, is drill tiny holes all around the periphery. not many, just a few. it helps a great deal with relieving the fog build up I seem to get all the time. I have one that came with a large opening but I'm not a fan. it's distracting. but the tiny holes work for me. 

thanks for the aplantic tip. I might look into others.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

So, after this conversation, I went ahead and purchased a Bergeon aplantic from ofrei, 4X at 2.5" and yes, there is noticeably less outer view distortion with it. not bad. not bad at all.

I only use them to check alignment while using punches & staking tool as it's almost (ALMOST) impossible to use microscope in such cases. But still possible ?

16 hours ago, Poljot said:

I only use them to check alignment while using punches & staking tool as it's almost (ALMOST) impossible to use microscope in such cases. But still possible ?

Lol the only thing i use my scope for is inspection. I can't fit everything under there and I sure as heck haven't mastered the art of hand-to-eye-thru-microscope thingy yet lol?

You mess with your lume project yet? 

27 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

Lol the only thing i use my scope for is inspection. I can't fit everything under there and I sure as heck haven't mastered the art of hand-to-eye-thru-microscope thingy yet lol?

You mess with your lume project yet? 

It depends on the microscope - some probably are not so good, or simply not suitable for watch repair. My Meiji with light is amazing for watch repair related tasks.

No, not yet, as i've decided to leave my Omega as-is, and i do not have any other candidates to experiment with lume. Besides, i have finally received my "lost" parcels almost 6 weeks after ordering them from UK. I don't want to order anything before Christmas & New Year as it will take forever thanks to "speedy" Mail service. I have a joke about Royal Mail & Canada Post, but it's still in-transit between UK and Canada.. ?

10 hours ago, Poljot said:

It depends on the microscope - some probably are not so good, or simply not suitable for watch repair. My Meiji with light is amazing for watch repair related tasks.

No, not yet, as i've decided to leave my Omega as-is, and i do not have any other candidates to experiment with lume. Besides, i have finally received my "lost" parcels almost 6 weeks after ordering them from UK. I don't want to order anything before Christmas & New Year as it will take forever thanks to "speedy" Mail service. I have a joke about Royal Mail & Canada Post, but it's still in-transit between UK and Canada.. ?

It's not looking good for the home team either. The Hampden jewels are still lost in space and was even sent a second pair, with no sign of them. 

Hey good choice on the Omega! Kudos! 

• 2 months later...

Dear all,

for me wearing glasses one of the best designs for a watchmaker's loupe is the old English style. Two lenses - 50 and 100mm focal length - that can be swung into place before the spectacle lens. Three magnifications at your fingertips. Cousins sells those.

89164193_Screenshot_2021-03-07-15-43-21-491_com.opera.browser01.thumb.jpg.ff87bfbcc113b129d028da91e3a94b2e.jpg

However those are so cheaply made there's no joy using them. Cheap lenses, cheap mechanics, flimsy clip. Does anyone know of a brand that makes them the proper way? 

Thanks and all the best from Hamburg

Alex