re-seating an incabloc spring

Blubarb

I might need some tips here. I lifted the incablocc spring to remove the balance jewel on a Unitas 6498 Clone (Seagull 3620) non dial side when the spring unseated from the housing. Any tips on getting it to seat again, any known videos on a technique. I recall Mark warning about this on an instruction video and so I took extra care but...

Are all movements subject to this kind of drama when removing a balance jewel or just on the Unitas clone? 

Appreciate anyone's experiences at all. 

Just a minor clarification? So the little gold spring is no longer attached at all correct? I don't know of any videos that cover this I do have some photos though if the spring really has come out. Problem is the Chinese did not exactly clone the setting correctly and as a consequence the spring will fall out. So if that's the problem and I can find my pictures with a steady hand it's easy to fix.

• Like 1

Hi John

That's exactly the issue. Would appreciate some pics if you can find them. 

I did find this though and it's a little helpful. 

Thanks,

John.

Edited by Blubarb
to add youtube link

So I have far too many pictures to go through but I haven't given up but in the meantime I'll try to explain taking something out of the video above. So the very beginning it shows how things go together. At around 11 seconds to get a silhouette. If you look at the image I have attached notice I drew a red line and then look at the video you'll notice that the tail end of the Gold spring hinges In that convenient slot. Because there's a slot spring almost never comes out. But in the Chinese version cutting that extra groove was complicated so that's missing. This means when you hinge it up there is nothing to hold it in place it typically falls out.

So found some of the pictures. I labeled one bad clone this is where should be the same setting that you have I do not recommend taking it out I only did it to get a picture. So you notice there is no cutaway slot like in the video there's nothing holding the spring once it's released its free to go where it feels like. Then there is a Omega setting and you'll see the cut part and the spring is also in there so you can see that does not come out.

Now comes the problem attempting to describe something that I don't have a picture of. So in the picture labeled putting back in notice the pinkish colored line going at the angle? Whatever you do do not force the spring if you get it right it almost just floats in to place. So you need to put the spring in at a angle in other words basically Corner to corner of the open area underneath I can't remember if You have to stick one of the tabs in first I vaguely think you can just literally drop it in the corner to corner. Then basically rotated so it's in the correct position and then it  hinge right down. Then I'm sorry if my description sucks hopefully it makes sense.

inc-p.JPG

bad clone.JPG

Omega correctly made.JPG

putting back in.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, John, for taking the time and effort to find the pics and to describe the setup to me. Makes good sense. I can see what you mean by the slot and no slot setup. There will be a bit of messing about to get it back in but at least now I can see what needs to be done.

That's a great tip with the rodico and fine tweezers, matabog. 

Thank you for this string!  I ran into the same issue with a 6497 clone.  After unsuccessful attempts to reseat the spring I did a search this evening and found yesterday's discussion.  I followed John's instructions and used rodico to stabilize the spring while positioning it in its slot.  It worked extremely well.  Thank you for the help.

The fact is, if it fell out, without full disassembly, then it can be put back in without disassembly! You have to keep the Inca springs straight and avoid twisting them or they just fall out due to the poor (copy) design. 

• 2 years later...

This just happened to me! In addition when I was manoevering the spring it went flying and I only found it by complete chance!!

I have managed to get it back in without using Rodico, just using the tweezers and small screwdriver.

Thanks for the tips.