Disassemble for Repair: Henry Peck 1890 Pocket Watch

JD good of you to post a vid uncensored. I found myself shouting at the vid :D

How that cannon pinion came off without any residual damage is a miracle. I suggest you purchase a nice cannon pinion removing tool. However should be a real nice watch when finished.

• Like 3

JD good of you to post a vid uncensored. I found myself shouting at the vid [emoji3]
How that cannon pinion came off without any residual damage is a miracle. I suggest you purchase a nice cannon pinion removing tool. However should be a real nice watch when finished.

I had absolutely no patience on Sunday and had to beat the thing up. There is really no indent to grab the cannon pinion: just a pipe. So not sure a tool would work. I don’t treat any of the other watches this way:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I suffered a breakdown watching this.[emoji3] What a very lucky guy you were in not wrecking this movement.
For my health and sanity, I will skip part two.

clockboy I was doing the same[emoji3]

I knew that it was my most unprofessional moment: especially when the works dropped out while pounding the cannon pinion. I promise i will be a better professional with the second half. I was up till 3am the night before at my company Christmas party, and pooped. Nobody ain’t learning notten from this video. :)

I bet the other Peck is s******g itself !!!!! LOL   I thought you were going to reach for a tyre lever. 

That is a funny reply. The other peck didn’t have the same cannon pinion issue and therefore was treated with kit gloves

• Like 1

Hi JD, I have had many disasters and expect many more. I am a novice and have messed up a few watches because my skills didn't match my enthusiasm. Best regards Johnnie

So far i have no messups and about 70 pocket watch cleanings and repairs. I have also made 2 balance staffs: one works perfectly and one is awaiting reassembly. I have also cleaned quit a few watches including repairing a seiko Pogue chono. I have also pressed in jewels and trued balance wheels. So i have done a lot in the 3 plus years i have been studying and performing watch repair. I would also consider myself an amateur but have not screwed up a single watch. This one simply dropped from lack of focus on my part: could have been the first screwup but the watch gods protected me:)

If you are an amateur or hobbyist be in the right frame of mind to undertake the task. People that make a living out of horology have to knuckle down and get on with it. One thing that helped me was to get up and walk around or undertake a different repair and this time of the year make sure the workshop was nice and warm.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

If you are an amateur or hobbyist be in the right frame of mind to undertake the task. People that make a living out of horology have to knuckle down and get on with it. One thing that helped me was to get up and walk around or undertake a different repair and this time of the year make sure the workshop was nice and warm.  

The above is a lesson I have learnt, when I am struggling and frustrated I now leave it and have a cup of tea! When I go back to it things seem to fall into place. 

• Like 1

Update: so i cleaned the watch completely and replaced the mainspring with one that i had. Had to anneal the end and bend in over to catch the barrel hook.

I then examined the jewels and found one badly damaged jewel and two other cracked jewels (fix later). Then i noticed that a tooth on the center wheel was bent completely over. I wedged in a knife and was able to move the tooth back without breaking. Lots of work remaining on this old beast. ace756c4ee1d35edc733399da85ef60b.jpg2b82ba18c9b05932b34e98abdd83b778.jpg28582a65b02988990c01113aa38527b7.jpgace602ee70c175eabfde5ca0153267f8.jpgbdf2a66be48b2bd405786b458e12b299.jpg430ddb57fb199fa80f83c06eac2f08f0.jpg

• Like 1

I suffered a breakdown watching this.[emoji3] What a very lucky guy you were in not wrecking this movement.
For my health and sanity, I will skip part two.

clockboy I was doing the same[emoji3]

BTW, I did manage to anneal an Elgin mainspring and fold the end over and and fit it into the Peck mainspring barrel. This was my first true mainspring mod work. Used an alcohol lamp and pliers. And I was very careful. I'm a bit pissed at the number broken jewels in this movement, but it is 1890 vintage

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1