What is happening with this hairspring ?

Chopin

When removed from the balance bridge, this (Seiko 7S28A) hairspring seems to be perfectly round and OK yet when it is mounted onto the bridge it looks like this.

I'm assuming it shouldn't sit like especially since, despite being serviced, the movement doesn't keep accurate time. It either runs fast by around a minute per hour or too slow by a minute per hour (depending on how you regulate it).

IMG_6175.jpg

Would just 2 bends make this work, technically ? If I manage to get it right hat is... I'm talking about the part just before it starts to coil around.... The bends near the outer end of the hairspring seem comparable to those in the photos from the link...

1 minute ago, Chopin said:

Would just 2 bends make this work, technically ? If I manage to get it right hat is... I'm talking about the part just before it starts to coil around.... The bends near the outer end of the hairspring seem comparable to those in the photos from the link...

It's a subtle combination of the shape and angle before the regulator, and the dog leg (bends) after it. You will not find any exact description or video of how exactly it has to be done, they say it's a matter of experience, trial and error. I suggest you practice first on an HS which in not repairable, because it seems this one still is.

52 minutes ago, Chopin said:

Do you have any idea if I can find just the HS for sale somewhere like cousinsUK ? They have the complete balance but I feel like it's too much for what I need...

Only the balance complete is sold. It is even cheap compared to C version. The assembly is not made to be separated ever. But your doesn't need replacement.

It's difficult to be certain but looking at your pics the hairspring is fine until it is attached to the bridge. Therefore I would deduce that the fault is at the bend made as it attaches to the end stud. Also the hairspring should be centred between the regulator pins not touching. The curve of the hairspring should be uniform and as the regulator arm is moved the hairspring should still remain in the centre in all positions. 

However be warned the tiniest of adjustments to a hairspring can make big differences so go really careful when adjusting.

5a2d41cdb9151_hairspringerror.png.4ee99f9633ddd3c566ff397c834eb302.png

I was thinking that if I made 2 bends in the marked area it would all be OK ? It seems to be missing those 2 bends almost entirely.

Thanks for pointing out @clockboy. You're right about what you've said so I guess that bend should be slightly corrected as well.

asdasd.jpg

Also, just to be clear, in case I mess this up. CousinsUK has "Balance Complete" for almost 10GBP. Does Balance complete mean the balance wheel + hairspring on it ?

1 hour ago, Chopin said:

Also, just to be clear, in case I mess this up. CousinsUK has "Balance Complete" for almost 10GBP. Does Balance complete mean the balance wheel + hairspring on it ?

Of course. Once again, practice on something else first. Forming a dog leg, or any other HS manipulation, is not easy or intuitive.

I find given advice with hairsprings is very difficult because manipulating them is really a touch and see before any adjustment exercise. Looking at the pics again this morning if it was me I would just move gently the bend at the end stud away and see if it moves the hairspring to a better centring position.  If so this is where to begin HOWEVER because the spring has already been manipulated it will be weak so be very very gentle when moving it

Well it didn't work. At first glance I managed to do what had to be done but when I install it into the movement the hairspring won't really work. It just won't rotate unless I force with the tweezers but it won't run on it's own.

I'll just order a replacement from Counsins. Does "Balance Complete" mean that it has the hairspring, balance and balance staff all together ?

58 minutes ago, Chopin said:

I'll just order a replacement from Counsins. Does "Balance Complete" mean that it has the hairspring, balance and balance staff all together ?

Yes, as answered above already. Note, most likely you are not installing the balance correctly. A distorted Seiko balance runs poorly, but it does run.

2 minutes ago, Chopin said:

If I fiddle around with it, it'll start but only function for 10-20 seconds. If I'll put the movement crown up for example it seems to stop.

I suggest that you give up with this mov.t. Too many variables and chances that is bust for good. You can buy an NH36 to replace it which will have better features, and use the old one to practice.

Correction. It seems that it works fine dial up but works very bad dial down... I guess further correcting should be made...

Holding the hairspring horizontally it seems that at the end towards the stud it's a little warped/bent...

• 2 years later...
On 12/11/2017 at 1:28 AM, Melt said:

Check out the second dog leg after the regulator, this is what's missing and will bring the balance hairspring concentric again.

underescapement6441.jpg

L C ,  A raw hairspring is slapped on the wheel, bend like in the pic melt shows above.

If I remember right you are good at hairspring R/R , you will get much better bends if hairspring is laid on flat white sheet of paper.