Elgin PW stops when turned over

Lc130

I'm just learning the very basics at this point.  I've picked up an Elgin grade 345, 12s PW on ebay.   Here's more info: https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/20602697/movement.  

I was able to disassemble, clean in naptha with an alchohol rinse and reassemble.  I didn't oil it as I'm just starting out and just recently ordered oil.  

Before the clean, it would only run for less than 10 seconds.  Seems to run happily now until I turn it upside down and it stops.  I noticed that the third wheel upper jewel is cracked.  I didn't remove the screwed in jewels for cleaning.  Should I have?  I just cleaned them whilst in the plate. 

Is this a balance problem?  I didn't take the balance assembly apart as I suspect, it this novice level,  I'd ruin it.  Does anyone have troubleshooting advice?  A pic is attached.

I appreciate your experience!

Charlie

IMG_0323 (1).JPG

Hi Lc130,

It is hard to tell from just the one picture but It looks like you most likely have a broken balance staff. I would suggest checking that there is not any movement vertically and horizontally of the balance. The cracked jewel could also be a big factor that could stop the watch as it could cause the wheel tooth engagement to not be correct. I suggest taking the balance out and being extremely mindful of the very delicate pivots while doing so. Check that they are not bent, mushroomed, or broken off completely!

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions, I would be happy to help. And don't forget that stuff gets broken along the way. Good thing this isn't a hugely valuable or rare piece!

Cheers,

-Emil

• Like 1

There doesn't appear to be any excessive play in the balance.  Below is a not-too-clear pic of one end of the staff.  I can't get a pic of the other end without disassembly but it looks the same. 

It appears that if I loosen that microscopic screw highlighted at the top, that the wedge directly below will come out.  The wedge looks to hold the the other end of the spring.  Does this seem correct.  I could then get a better look at it.  

How does one get a new staff or jewels for this?

Many thanks!

Charlie

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

Yes thats how the hairspring stud is removed once the regulator boot has been turned as well. Looking at your pics the top jewel looks very dirty, has it been cleaned. With a lot of vintage watches that have not been serviced the jewels get incrusted with old oil/dust etc. and they need a good soak in a de-greaser then cleaning. If the jewel is clean and the balance is good with no end shake then check for end shake of the wheels & barrel assembly. 

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• OK, welcome in the world of alarm clocks... I guess the 4th wheel is dished because it is from another movement. If it was not dishet, then it would not mesh with the pinion of the escape wheel, am I right? The marks of wear on the 4th wheel pinion doesn't corespond to the 3th wheel table position, at list this is what i see on the picts. Calculating the rate is easy - there is a formula - BR = T2 x T3 x T4 x T5 x 2 /(P3 x P4 x P5) where T2 - T5 are the counts of the teeth of the wheels tables, and P3 - P5 are the counts of the pinion leaves. Vibrating the balance is easy - grasp for the hairspring where it should stay in the regulator with tweasers, let the balance hang on the hairspring while the downside staff tip rests on glass surface. Then make the balance oscillate and use timer to measure the time for let say 50 oscillations, or count the oscillations for let say 30 seconds. You must do the free oscillations test to check the balance staff tips and the cone cup bearings for wear. This kind of staffs wear and need resharpening to restore the normal function of the balance.
    • Glue a nut to the barrel lid, insert a bolt, pull, disolve the glue.  Maybe someone will have a better answer. 
    • The stress is the force (on the spring) x distance. The maximum stress is at the bottom, and decreases up the arm. That's why they always break at the bottom. I used a round file, then something like 2000 grit to finish. I gave the rest of the arm a quick polish - no need for a perfect finish. Just make sure there are no 'notches' left from cutting/filing. The notches act like the perforations in your toilet paper 🤣
    • It's probably a cardinal rule for watch repair to never get distracted while at the bench. Yesterday, after finishing a tricky mainspring winding/barrel insertion (I didn't have a winder and arbor that fit very well) I mentally shifted down a gear once that hurdle was passed. There were other things going on in the room as I put the barrel and cover into the barrel closer and pressed to get that satisfying snap. But when I took it out I realized I never placed the arbor.  When opening a barrel, we are relying on the arbor to transfer a concentrically-distributed force right where it is needed at the internal center of the lid. However, when that isn't present it's difficult to apply pressure or get leverage considering the recessed position of the lid, the small holes in the barrel and the presence of the mainspring coils. It was a beat-up practice movement so I didn't take a lot of time to think it over and I pushed it out using a short right-angle dental probe placed in from the bottom, but that did leave a bit of a scratch and crease in the thin lid. I had also thought about pulling it using a course-threaded screw with a minor thread diameter smaller than the lid hole and a major diameter larger, but that may have done some damage as well.  Thinking about how this might have been handled had it been a more valuable movement, is there a method using watchmaking or other tools that should extract the lid with the least damage? 
    • 🤔 what happens if lubrication is placed directly on top of epilame ? Making a small groove so the lubrication doesn't spread across the component but what if when lubing a little overspills and sits on the epilame .