Tool for removing stubborn 2-piece stems.

MrRoundel

In a previous life I worked as an optician. During that time I would use a special set of pliers for adjusting spectacle nose-pads. I ended up buying a pair of my own. Then, a couple of years ago, I had to deal with removing a stubborn stem/crown assembly from an early E. Howard pocket watch. As I rubbed my head to wake up the idea genie, I reached for those pliers. They worked perfectly, and since they have smooth jaws they didn't harm the crown. Fast-forward to last week when I had to pull the two-piece crown/stem assembly on a Wittnauer wrist watch. I grabbed those pliers and they popped it right off.  If you come across a pair, you might consider it. Mine were made by Sadler. Cheers.

DSC05993.JPG

• Like 1

Using pliers is fine but just as a reminder not all two part stems come apart in this method. Some of them have to be rotated to the correct position then the movement drops out the two stem parts slide apart. If you pull them apart by force bad things occur.

21 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Using pliers is fine but just as a reminder not all two part stems come apart in this method. Some of them have to be rotated to the correct position then the movement drops out the two stem parts slide apart. If you pull them apart by force bad things occur.

I never came across such a thing. Is it a fixing that is in modern quartz watches?

I don't think I've ever seen it on a quartz watch. I've seen it on older watches and I have a really crappy photograph. Definitely should have used a different camera and the purpose of the photograph was to show the replacement is too short.

So this is a Mido the crown comes attached with a stem. You'll notice in the photograph the opening for the crown slides into is squarish. It would make considerable more sense if I photographed it with the stem and preferably with a better camera. Which if I think about it I'll see if I can do that I still have this nightmare in my possession. So another watchmaker following standard operating procedure ripped out the crown. Upon assembly discovered that it was loose? Decided to tighten and you'll notice it's now broken. This is why I posted the comment that if doesn't want to come out use caution as trying to get these parts are very very difficult to get the replacement for the crown with its attached stem required purchasing used case and crown from ebay.

stem bad.JPG

• Like 1

I can certainly see how bad things could happen by yanking on one of that style, believing it will pop out. I can also see how finding such a stem would be a tough "get". I'm just learning about using the Besfit catalogs to find parts for various wrist-watch calibers. I just bought a vintage Girard-Perregaux for my GF. It is missing the waterproof crown, which probably means it's missing 1/2 its 2-piece stem as well. As I attempt to find a potential replacement for the movement I believe is in the GP case - AS 1180- (I bought in a lot of watches w/o seeing the movements.), I see how difficult sourcing these vintage parts can be, so you definitely don't want to break them. Cheers.