Suggestions for best value quality vintage watch

I know this is a very subjective question, but I'm looking to buy myself a vintage watch to restore and wear that is a bit further up the quality tree than I currently have and I'm looking for suggestions.

My requirements is it needs to be an automatic, day and date would be nice, but not essential. I'm not looking for a super complicated watch, automatic, day and date is enough, it also needs to be one that parts are reasonably available for.  Don't wont an overly busy dial as I struggle reading watches with small hands if I haven't got my glasses on

My price range would be no more than $400 or $500 USD and I would like it to be one that will hold its value as long as I look after it.

I've obviously already got a few that I've been keeping my eye out for, but I welcome other suggestions.

When I started to learning to repair watches I wasn't interested in Seikos, but then I restored my dads Seiko for his birthday that he got in the 1970s that had been broken for over 10 years that a previous watchmaker had told him was repairable and I got an appreciation for Seikos, I've got a Seiko 5 I'm about to restore and although I now like Seikos I think I would like to get a watch that the average person doesn't know, but saying that I have looked up Seiko 6139s and have a few that I'm now watching.

It never hurts to have several options. :D

I'll be honest, I'd much rather all you lot stayed away from Seiko so that I can get them more easily. Too much competition!

But I trawl eBay also looking at stuff that's ending soon for not much money, I've picked up a couple of fun things that way although as for whether I could get parts for them easily I'm not so sure. And I'm not quite to the standard yet where I can make my own parts, give it another year or two for that.

I personally would avoid any Swiss made mechanical watch. They are still very good but with the parts fiasco servicing costs etc are going to out way the value of the watch. If mechanical Seiko are good bet if Quartz Casio look good. I have purchased recently a Casio G-Shock as Xmas present and it comes with a two year guarantee . 

I would suggest that you look for a vintage Omega. Good value (it actually increases steadily year by year), good quality and there are sufficient watches and parts out there to be found.

It's the best and easiest solution for what you want if you ask me.

From what I've been seeing for the past 3 months on watch forums I think you should go for omegas, there are a lot of old new stock parts for them and they fall in the category of timeless beauty (deville, seamaster, Omega from WW2, Geneve, etc). Bulova holds a lot a value and quality for vintage pieces and you should give it a look for good deals on eBay.
Other options are some Mido, Universal Geneve, Longines, Hamilton, Timex, Seiko, etc.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Why set your self limit's my aim is always to buy the best I can at the cheapest I can find it, Ebay auctions are not the way to go usually too many people chasing the same thing buy it nows are a far better option if you are quick enough and lucky enough I've had quite a few sub £100 pound Omegas and Longines including one described as 14 kt gold filled which was actually 14 kt solid gold.

This I picked up the other week a Majex Autoslim these are hidden gems and often cheap no need to blow the budget fitted with a Buren 1000 micro rotor movement very high quality and a joy to work on £29.00 a absolute bargin its the second one I have bought the other is the same but slightly different bridge lay out and still plenty of parts about for them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ref165DU-D3-Mens-Majex-Wristwatch-Working/202127382381?hash=item2f0fbb176d:g:pbAAAOSwiYlaC1qU

I also like pre 1950's bumper autos Cyma, Tissot, Movado, Eterna all excellent quality and can be found cheap.

Keep in mind the view of watches change a lot throughout the decades. Today, mechanical watches are seen as luxury items that beckon to an older era. Before the introduction of cheap quartz watches, the only way to keep time on your wrist as a mechanical wristwatch. The market was huge for watches and thus there were numerous watches from different countries. Watches were tools that everyone had to have.

Because watch technology is so old and developed, it was (and still is) to make leaps of innovation to beat your competition. Thus a lot of these watches were similar in quality. Of course there is pin lever junk that you should avoid like Timex. (Some Timex pieces are very interesting but I am not experienced enough to say which.)

I really like vintage Elgin, Gruen, Boluva, and Benrus watches. These were American watch brands that dominated the market in the past. Depending on the model and movement, their movements were similar in quality to Omega and other Swiss brands at that time. Now these brands are dead and obscure so their watches go for very cheap.

This doesn't except you from doing your homework. Always check the condition and ask for movement pics. If you are spending some dough, you should know what exactly the model is and what it should look like. Old ads are good for this.

Pro tips: if you search

vintage (elgin,benrus,gruen) "watch"

on ebay, it search for listing that include "elgin" OR "benrus" OR "gruen" OR nothing and the phrase "watch" must be included. You can use this trick to search for specific brands and not have to dig through listings.

I forgot to mention this important warning. Since these American brands died, their names were bought out by various other companies. For example, Bulova was bought by Citizen and Hamilton brought by Swatch. Their modern watches have very little to do with their past and all of their factories were closed here. That's not to say these newer watches are junk but they are American in name only.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 10:14 PM, dieale2 said:

Of course there is pin lever junk that you should avoid like Timex. (Some Timex pieces are very interesting but I am not experienced enough to say which.)

JUNK, "oh the uninformed"?  well you are in luck because I can certainly tell you which of the vintage Timex maybe of interest.  

Start with a 1959 Chrome case Marlin, move on to a 1962 Electric, next a 1969 cross haired dial 21 Jewels, throw in a Viscount, Mercury, Super Thin and lets not forget a Dynabeat!

And I do always advise many to look at Seiko automatic diver.  They are a great watch.

• 2 weeks later...