What "generic oil" to get?

Lc130

Hi,

I'm just learning the basics and starting with pocket watches.  A member of another forum (MWR) recommended I get a "low cost generic oil" but didn't state a name.  Can someone recommend one?  It'll be used on pocket watches and low priced wrist watches from ebay.  These will be learning pieces.

Thank you

Charlie

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/pocket-oiler-multi-purpose

Something like this would probably be perfectly adequate for practice purposes. just squeeze a little out into an oil cup -- cheap plastic ones should be available --, obviously.

Though you probably don't need to spend an absolute fortune to get the minimum to lubricate a watch 'more or less' right. D5(high friction points) 9415 (escapement) and.... either 9010 (Thinner, more optimal for modern timepieces and quartz) or 8000 (thicker and better for pocket watches.) for gear trains, you could probably just use one of those, i think either one would still be 'ok' used on what its not optimal for. (note: plastic wheels may not like oils not designed for plastics)

Might not be seen as the right attitude with lubrication, most people take a more 'all or nothing' perfectionist stance, but that's what i would say to a beginner.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1