rsoonerdad53

rsoonerdad53

Hello, I am Robert I am new and this is the first time I have browsed this website.  I collect all types of watches and own many, unfortunately, most of my collection would be considered junk watches. These watches do not have much use, but for some reason, I like having them around.  I am a novice repairman and plan to take the courses offered on this site.  I have a strong wish to increase my knowledge about watches.  I can't explain it, but my desire to learn more has increased over time.  It is sad that horology is a declining field.  Today's electronics have made an impact on this industry.  I believe that is why there are so few watchmakers today compared to 40-50 years ago.  Thank you for reading this introductory.  I better go see what time it is.  LOL.

Hi rsoonerdad53, Thanks for coming in and welcome. I am fairly new to this site. Your collection of watches are most interesting and I bet you will get them going in time, no pun intended. If I was a younger man I would take the courses as well but I am 76 now. Eyesight is OK. I had some training in watch repairing  many years ago from a highly skilled  watchmaker sadly not around anymore and I use Practical Watch Repairing by Donald de Carlo  as my Bible. I just consider myself an amateur watch  repairer . Word gets around and friends bring me their colleagues watches Quartz for batteries and sometimes  expensive mechanical ones, that official watchmakers want a lot of money to fix. I only take on that which I feel confident that I am able to cope with.  For the higher range watches spares are hardly available to me as it has become a closed shop. A monopoly,  and people like me are not liked very much by the watch repairing fraternity. I will not give my pastime up though.  I sold my Electronic`s business nine years ago.  There are Very skilled and helpful experts on this site and I feel sure that they will help you over any hurdles. Keep going and best regards, Mike.

Edited by ecodec
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Mike,  Like you I have not quite figured out this site, my navigation skills need to improve.  Hey some food for thought, my father is about to have his 91st birthday.  I am continuously in awe when I look at his life.  He is still independent and takes care of himself.  I am 64 and I have to tell you he is my inspiration.  When I think about trying to accomplish something, I have learned from him to never think that I don't have enough time.  I am a rookie when it comes to watch repair, but I have a passion that is burning inside and I want to accomplish this.  I can not call myself a watchmaker yet but  I plan to one day.  As long as the good Lord has blessed me with good enough health to master this goal, I will press on.  I am saying all this to you because I picked up something when you said "but I am 76".  I fully believe you can also sharpen your skill every single day.  Thank you very much for all the nice things you said to me.  We have something in common, you sold your electronics business I retired from electrical/electronics a couple years ago.  Yes you are right about closed shop, I am finding it a little difficult as well.    Robert