Omega 484 escape wheel not advancing

buzz12

Hi all, hope you are all having fun with your projects - I was till I hit this snag. I am working on a wee ladies movement and all was going well until I got it back in the case! It was running fine but the crown and hand setting were not right. I guessed it might be the setting lever and when I got the dial off it turns out I was right. The setting lever was broken so stripped out the keyless works, cleaned and lubed, replaced the setting lever and put the dial and hands back on. Problem solved just need to re-case. At this point it was running a treat again and keeping good time. Put it in the case and it stopped running. Maybe the minute hand is fouling? Off with the bezel - no different. Took it back out of the case to inspect and I can now see that when the balance swings the escape wheel is not advancing. Any suggestions as to why not would be greatly appreciated?

Looks like it has overbanked and the impulse jewel is now out of the fork. Other possibility is broken impulse jewel or pallet pivot. You need to take escapment apart to check.

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jdm said:

Looks like it has overbanked and the impulse jewel is now out of the fork. Other possibility is broken impulse jewel or pallet pivot. You need to take escapment apart to check.

I had a similar fault on a gents Certina. The escape wheel had no drive. I cleaned oiled and re assembled the gear train and I think the fault was the 3rd wheel sticking. Fine now !!. Hope this may help

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jdm said:

Cheers jdm, oh heck! Not the answer I was hoping for, but very very helpful. Presumably, in order for it to over bank you are suggesting that one of the above must of happened? At least I know what to look for. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  It would help if I could see what I am doing :startle:

32 minutes ago, ecodec said:

I had a similar fault on a gents Certina. The escape wheel had no drive. I cleaned oiled and re assembled the gear train and I think the fault was the 3rd wheel sticking. Fine now !!. Hope this may help

It may well help, that I can cope with... haha! I was not planning on stripping it all down since it was working ok and it is about the size of a penny,  but hey ho, it is all good experience. Many thanks for the input.