Which ETA 7750 clone to practice

Giuseppe

Hello,

I'm pretty sure this topic has not been debated here, but in case it has been please forgive me.

In order to learn how to strip down a ETA 7750 movemenet, would it be advisable to work on a clone movement such as the  SHANGHAI 3LZF2 ?

Are there any alternative options?

TIA

Giuseppe

Have you worked on a non-chronograph movement before? What about modest complications like calendar and automatic?

A chronograph has many more parts and fine adjustments, is considered an advanced task in learning watchmaking. Are you sure you are up to that level already?

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

No definetely I've NEVER worked on anything , I've just enrolled on Mark's course..
The point is I really like to plan what to do and my goal is to be able to service a 7750 before the end of 2018.

As Mark bases his course on a simple and big movement (he suggests using a clone of the UNITAS 6497) I thought it might be advisable, after learning the basic with that movement, to step further and use a clone of the 7750 before testing my fresh learnt skills on a real and more costly original ETA...

Am I wrong?

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

No definetely I've NEVER worked on anything , I've just enrolled on Mark's course..
The point is I really like to plan what to do and my goal is to be able to service a 7750 before the end of 2018.

As Mark bases his course on a simple and big movement (he suggests using a clone of the UNITAS 6497) I thought it might be advisable, after learning the basic with that movement, to step further and use a clone of the 7750 before testing my fresh learnt skills on a real and more costly original ETA...

Am I wrong?

Actually after the large Unitas you should move practicing on a standard 10 1/2 automatic mov.t with calendar. And  do a variety of other activities before getting to a chronograph. So you have a lot of time before worrying on what to buy, actually you have to buy quite few tools and materials first. Don't step ahead of yourself, appreciate the learning tasks that you have at hand presently. 

Edited by jdm