My First Strip Down - Helvetia

PhilB

I began stripping my first watch this morning but with my 6yr old insisting on bothering me I didn't get too far.

If anyone can help me label the parts or provide tips please feel free to chip in.

Thanks to Marks video on subject I started with the calendar side first.

Here i go with the the first few parts.

step1.jpg

I'm looking out for springs pinging from every coverplate I remove.

step2.jpg

step3.jpg

step4.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about removing a part from one side and having parts from the other side drop off un-noticed, can this be a problem?

When I started again two cogs fell out unexpectedly - thankfully i have the photos to help find where they came from.

step5.jpg

Next I removed the plate near the crown, as expected i found a loaded spring before it had the chance to spring out

step6.jpg

I've removed the screw and jewel from the above photo - I'm not sure I needed to do this.

I'd  like to apologise for the lack of correct terminology, I'll get there.

When I turn the movement over to work on the motion side two cogs and a small lever fall from the side I've just been working on.

After a brief panic, both cogs are back in place along with two levers, spring and plate, all screwed back into place. 

step7.jpg

• Like 1

You're doing great. As long as you have the parts, you're all set. The small lever is the set lever. The 2 cogs are the winding pinion and the clutch; they probably fell out when you pulled the stem. The lever (clutch lever I think) is attached to a screw that you get to from motion side. it doesn't unscrew all the way, just a couple of turns should release the lever. 

This is all from a newbie knowledge, I hope someone can confirm all this :)

Edited by frenchie

The small lever is the set lever. The 2 cogs are the winding pinion and the clutch; they probably fell out when you pulled the stem. The lever (clutch lever I think) is attached to a screw that you get to from motion side

Thanks for those labels for the parts. The larger lever (clutch) was just on a peg, it just needed a bit more convincing to come off.

In step 5, the 'small cog' has one side which is 'chamfered' and one side without... ie one side of the gear teeth is slightly rounded... look at it edge on..

Your doing well... if you're a beginner..  unless you have a very 'clean' room, when assembling springs do it iside a plastic bag... saves a lot of time.

Oh.. and was the watch working to begin with?

Anil

Excellent work, keep it up! By the way, I always remove the balance wheel first so I don't damage it accidentally while handling the movement. I place it "wheel down" in a separate, plastic box with lid. Hope it helps.

Hi Anil, the rounded teeth, what would it be the correct orientation, up or down? Does it has to do with how it engages another wheel/pinion? Thank you in advance.

Edited by bobm12

In step 5, the 'small cog' has one side which is 'chamfered' and one side without... ie one side of the gear teeth is slightly rounded... look at it edge on..

Your doing well... if you're a beginner..  unless you have a very 'clean' room, when assembling springs do it iside a plastic bag... saves a lot of time.

Oh.. and was the watch working to begin with?

Anil

I'll have a look at the small cog tonight and make sure it goes back the correct way.

Yes, I'm a beginner to this type of work. Normally I'm a bit too impatient and would pull things apart in the belief I'd remember where they went when the time came to put them back together.

The watch was working but stopping intermittently. My aim of this first try is to take it apart and reassemble. I'm not too concerned about replacing the main spring, cleaning and oiling, just getting it back together in one piece with it ticking.

Excellent work, keep it up! By the way, I always remove the balance wheel first so I don't damage it accidentally while handling the movement. I place it "wheel down" in a separate, plastic box with lid. Hope it helps.

I'll probably be starting the movement side tonight so I'll follow your lead, as soon as I work out which bit is the balance wheel :)

Thanks guys these links are helping with the naming.

In step 8 I remove a cover from the movement side and the task ahead becomes apparent. 

Looking at what is underneath it looks like I have to remove the crown and ratchet wheel first.

But there's a problem, I can't get the crown screw loosened. It seems stuck tight and I'm worried about applying too much force.

step8.jpg

step9.jpg

Remove all residual spring tension first. To do this turn the crown as if to wind it then with a small screwdriver or pegwood ease the click out of engagement with the ratchet wheel. Now let the crown gently spin between your thumb and finger until it stops.

Thanks guys - I've removed the crown wheel screw without snapping it :)

I took out the crown, ratchet wheel and click mechanism but forgot to take a photo of the click mechanism while it was in place.

I should be able to work out how to get it back together the right way.

step10.jpg

I'm amazed how small and intricate the center and adjacent wheels are. It's not surprising it was recommend I buy a good set of tweezers.

step11.jpg

What I think is the 3rd wheel is carefully removed next

step12.jpg

step13.jpg

step14.jpg

I hope I have all the parts labelled correctly - let me know if I've made a mistake please.

Big thanks to everyone who's commented and helped me get this far.

Phil, 

You are doing great and the pictures are fantastic. As others have said the screw is reverse threaded (so it does not unwind itself when the watch is wound up). Be gentle with this screw as the head can break off quite easily.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

Great job PhilB, for what you are saying I suppose you will be putting it all together quite soon! Remember to be extra careful with the balance wheel!

PS. I can't see your new pictures until I get to my home computer!!! I bet they are good like all the other ones you posted.

Edited by bobm12