Dating an Ansonia Slate Clock

Tmuir

I recently picked up this rather sad looking Ansonia slate clock for a quite reasonable price. (The seller counted my offer with an offer $50 lower than I offered to pay)

Other than a missing pendulum it is complete.

I've not looked too closely so haven't decided if someone painted the slate to try and make it look better, or its just filthy, but by the weight of it its definitely slate

Are there any Ansonia experts that could date this or give the model name? I'm guessing 1880 to 1890, but that is just a guess.

The corners and top that look to be hand painted badly gold, would this of been originally painted gold, or gilded?

I do like the enamel dial and can see the potential under the grime, and yes it will need a number of bushes.

I do have the gong too, it had become unglued from the clock, so it is not sitting inside the movement

ansonia_slate1.jpg

ansonia_slate2.jpg

Edited by Tmuir

The link I provided is what you needed. If you look at it again you will see the label of 1883 up to 1929 Ansonia where produced at Brooklyn, New York. Your movement is stamped Ansonia Clock co New York. One other thing if the glass is thick and original it will be from the early period. Thin glasses were fitted later. You also might find more info under the dial.  The hands are a style called  fleur-de-lis which is a French style which means Flower and are very popular with French clocks.

Clockboy you are correct these American clocks are not in the same class as French movements, there made of soft steel and poor grade brass. The reason these movements had lantern pinions was to take the wear and tear of the extremely powerful springs, the old springs are also made of poor metal. I don’t know if this is true I was told the reason the main plates are skeleton was to save on cost.   

I would agree definitely after 1883, although it would be nice to tie it in tighter than that.

I remember reading somewhere that these clocks were made to counter the french slate clocks coming into the US, Ansomia also made cast iron clocks painted to look like slate and cheaper wooden cased clocks painted to look like slate or marble too.

As oldhippy says not as good quality, or worth as much as the French slate clocks, but still interesting none the less

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tmuir said:

I would agree definitely after 1883, although it would be nice to tie it in tighter than that.

I remember reading somewhere that these clocks were made to counter the french slate clocks coming into the US, Ansomia also made cast iron clocks painted to look like slate and cheaper wooden cased clocks painted to look like slate or marble too.

As oldhippy says not as good quality, or worth as much as the French slate clocks, but still interesting none the less

Yes you are right.

• 4 years later...