Ishima

Vote up function

Question

Just a quick mention/reminder (and im sure many of you don't need this) since I noticed recently that the forum has this 'vote up' for best answer function on the left hand side of any given reply, and it seems to go unused almost all the time, people 'like' posts often, but alternatively/additionally you can vote it up and make it 'the best answer'. 

8 answers to this question

I personally would love members to use this feature.

1st it places the most voted answer at the top. Very useful in a long thread for readers to find the most sensible answer.

2nd it gives a pat on the back to the person or persons who took the time and trouble to answer the OP’s question.

3rd it helps to build the community by showing that we care about what others have posted. That’s not a bad thing at all.

So come on guys (and gals) let’s use this facility when a good answer has been posted - it just takes a split second to do and it really can make that section of the forum much much more helpful for others too.

Yes, there is such a feature, but correctly is enabled only on the "repair help" section. And I think the only one entitled to use it should be the OP. The likes and other feeling voting largely surpasses it, so I think it's no surprise that people doesn't use it much at all, and personally wouldn't mind doing away with it.

[EDIT: after reading Mark's explanation below I also support to use voting, as it helps highlighting the best answer as a reference for future readers.

The voting function seems to be a standard part of this (typical) forum software, and I've seen it on other boards as well. I've never used it and most other members have obviously never used it as well!

I personally don't think it's of much use on a forum like this one, with often less than simplistic answers to questions. It's probably used more on forums which ask things like, "What's the best guitar in the whole world?" - and then invites a vote. However, whether the function stays or goes is up to Mark - perhaps we could vote on it... :-)

4 minutes ago, WillFly said:

It's probably used more on forums which ask things like, "What's the best guitar in the whole world?" - and then invites a vote. 

That is the poll feature actually. It's not enabled here.