Hello from the UK

Padd

Hello Everyone,

Padd here from the UK.

It all started with a desire to fix a Submariner replica I bought off a lucky lucky man in Pisa, Italy while on a European tour.

Next thing I know I'm investigating Submariner replicas and building my own, signed by me, using a Seagull ST2130 movement, adventure watch.

Now I'm hooked, I took inspiration from Marks videos, now I'm happily starting to work on parts of the movement, and have recovered one or two movements where the stem came out, but wouldn't stay back in. I have built a few watches for friends and relations, but now I need to be able to service them when they come back to me.

I also have a couple of movements that run really badly, so I will be practising on those over the winter weekends. Full repair/servicing kit IS my Christmas present.

I really want to get one of those ST2130's, serviced and tweaked by me, doing a -------------------------- on my timegrapher. not a -.'-.'''--,'.'.' (and worse) that they do at the moment.

I wont start to list my watch collection, but it runs from a Casio digital to a Rolex pocket watch with Seikos, Citizens, Omegas and home builds in the mix.

Must do Mark's course, but I'm afraid I may have already learned 60+% of it already.

20170405_144033.jpg

Hi Padd, thanks for the low down it is very interesting. I have never built my own brand watch but I am in touch with a Chinese manufacturer to see if I can get clone components made for those watches that the original makers will Not supply component parts for. It all depends upon the economics. If your Timegrapher shows that poor line then check the ruby pin is Tight and Vertical, and that the  lever, pallet stones and escape wheel are quite free,  clean and working nicely. I have found similar problems in this area. I expect you have a copy of Practical Watch Repairing and if not then it is an excellent idea to get one. I refer to mine often and find the advice therein perfectly sound. For cleaning I use Naphtha and and a U/S cleaner the only special oil I use is Moebius 8000. I sometimes use Pegasus oil and for pocket watches Anchor. I have never has a lubrication problem. For barrels I use a Very Fine Moly mix knocked up for me in a Lab where a friend once worked. I use them all Very Sparingly. I had a nice watch that was running fast presented to me to sort out. A Zenith quite old and the hair spring was stuck up from over oiling some 6 years previously. No doubt the oil started to dry up. A clean, oil and time up cured it nicely. Thanks for the chat and good wishes and kind regards, Mike.

Edited by ecodec
More info.

• 2 months later...