friction fit balance staff

I am wondering if someone can tell me how to replace a friction fit  balance staff. I damaged a E. Howard #12 balance wheel and have a Hamilton 972 I dont want to destroy. I could not get the staff to budge. I have a #18 K and D staking set. Thanks

Are you sure it is a friction staff? Be careful about using too much force. You could warp the wheel attempting to drive the staff out. You should be able to press it out if you have a jeweling lever for your staking set.

As oldhippy says, a good close up picture would help a lot.

• Like 1

The Hamilton 972 depending upon its serial number can either use a single roller or a double roller staff. Neither one of these are friction staff's. Then other minor complication Small collet or large Collet images attached so you understand. Then at one time you would have had a choice for pivots sizes.

Then the Howard number 12 balance wheel is mentally causing me to draw a blank? So do you have a staff number or something else I can go by and I can see if I can find description of or picture to see if it is a friction staff what kind of staff is it?

ham 972 stafs 2.JPG

ham 972 stafs.JPG