Escape wheel wear pictures

Hello guys

I've been renovating quite a few 1960s Seikos recently and a couple have shown very scattered traces on the timegrapher and generally ratty running after cleaning. All three responded to a new escape wheel very well. Being unable to see the wear using normal magnification I decided to try one of the £15 USB microscopes available on fleabay. They are too light, the software is hit and miss but glue it onto a heavy base and they will do the job. The difference between a good and bad wheel became obvious. The square corners get rounded off by the fork pallet jewels and precision is lost.  The first two shots are from a worn 6602B and a 7625A Auto. Note the rough finish but 50 years ain't bad - neither watch back showed any servicing marks and were bone dry. The third shot is also a 6602 but it's a good performer - note square edges. The last is from my new baby - King Seiko 4402. Very different quality. Three lessons.   1. These devices are fine for simple close examination. 2. Don't neglect oiling the escape pallets - it's tricky but worth the effort  3. Once you've handled a part with your fingers it needs cleaning again - it's horrifying how many skin particles appear.

Fri Nov 17 14-51-09.jpg

Fri Nov 17 14-54-23.jpg

Sun Nov 19 22-19-25.jpg

Sun Nov 19 12-12-59.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...