fireftr45

Mainspring winder for Seiko 7S26

Question

Hi All,  I have exhausted google and various pdf's on the Bergeon mainspring winder sets, and I have wasted enough money on ebay buying worn out vintage "universal" winders.

Does anyone know which Bergeon winder drum/arbor you need for the seiko 7s26 mainspring?  Any help here would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you, ,,,,,,Erik

12 answers to this question

I know Seiko parts are not so easy to buy these days. Seiko back in the 70’s and 80’s advised, you should replace the barrel complete after (I think 5 or 7 years) you’re not supposed to take them apart. Its possible you will not find a winder that will fit.

4 hours ago, fireftr45 said:

Hi All,  I have exhausted google and various pdf's on the Bergeon mainspring winder sets, and I have wasted enough money on ebay buying worn out vintage "universal" winders.

Does anyone know which Bergeon winder drum/arbor you need for the seiko 7s26 mainspring?  Any help here would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you, ,,,,,,Erik

There is no barrel supplied by Bergeon that fits the Seiko 7s26. If I remember correctly with the Bergeon set they are either too small or to large. I used a K&D winder that I usually use for the larger pocket watch barrels. Oldhippy is correct Seiko recommend a new barrel & mainspring. I have noticed Cousins have the mainspring as obsolete.

However I have done a little research & the consensus is the mainspring size required is:  0.95 x 0.12 x 400 x 10.5.

Which is ref: GR2378X

Cousins have this in stock.

I haven't measured one but it seems widely reported that the ID of the 7S26 barrel is either 10mm or 10.5mm.

If you check Cousins web site it lists the bergeon winders by size.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watch-bergeon-winders-by-size

No.6 has a diameter of 9.8mm so woud be the right size.

Thank you all!!!  I am finding out that Seiko has discontinued making a lot of these mainsprings for 7S, 4R, 6R.  I guess they just want you to buy a new movement.  So a generic spring will most likely have to be sourced.  They don't even sell the barrel complete anymore. (or I just haven't found a viable source yet)

I have gotten a little frustrated lately, as I started purchasing spring winders from ebay.  The first turned out to be a pocket watch spring winder that is too deep and the spring winds up in a ball.  The second set I bought was an adjustable K&D 123, A & B, that fits the barrel but the right winding knob has the nib that grabs the spring hole worn off, so it won't wind.

I am still very new to this.  This is the first spring I am trying to wind up and it has been a source of stress so far.  The spring has gotten kinked several times so I just decided to keep practicing on it till the tail broke off last night.  I will say I almost had it once, but when trying to get the spring to let go of the knob, as I removed the winder knob the spring popped out.

I suppose I could just keep trying to find a newer knob for the 123A, but I am gravitating towards spending more for the Bergeon and be done with it.  My thinking is I could always add new drums one at a time as needed over time (as I don't have $1K+ to drop on a whole set).

Well again Thank You all for your help.  I will keep trying.

Hi Fireftr 45

I too am suffering  exactly the same frustration on a Seiko 7S26C movement. I split the barrel only to find the same sort of mess Mark shows in his video with the added non bonus of a broken spring end. I also bought a second hand set of winders only to find out that they were too worn to be useful. Buyer beware when you cannot examine first! I checked Cousins and sure enough no springs to be had here. I decided to take Old Hippys advice and order a barrel complete prt. no. 0201075. On Cousins web site it states Seiko Barrel complete Hattori part no. 201.083 available May 2nd 2019. I will order this and let you know if it fits the bill.

Hope this helps.

Note that in Japanese movements the springs often wind the opposite way to the 'standard' Swiss movements. You can see in Mark's video above it has a RH bend. Therefore the standard spring winders don't work - the nib faces the wrong way and won't grab the spring. 

I'm working on a Citizen with a 10mm barrel, and had to use a 9mm winder bit to wind the spring the wrong way, then transfer the spring to the 10 mm bit to reverse it before putting in the barrel. 

Well still no joy with Cousins on obtaining a barrel complete for a 7s26c Seiko. They now show availability 29th May.

Anyone know where I can get one from? Are the manufacturers trying to shut amateur horology down?

Really disappointing not being able to expedite a repair in a timely manner. I totally empathise with Fireftr45 I too am getting really frustrated.

I noticed that many ebayers are buying up watch tools and although they are not interested in using the tools they are interested in boosting the price. I was bidding on Platax tool after watching Marks vid as I have broken balance. The price went stupid £350 ish. Thing is no-one new if it was worn, had defects or would do the job. If there was another way or tool to replace balance staffs other than DK which are just as hard to obtain I for one would be interested.

Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, Colditz said:

Well still no joy with Cousins on obtaining a barrel complete for a 7s26c Seiko. They now show availability 29th May.

At GBP 16.90 + shipping i would not rush to buy. A brand new mvt can be bought for USD 36 or little more for an NH36 which winds and hacks. You can get a good one from a busted mov.t, PM if you want. 

Hey JDM

Good idea sir. Is the NH36 same size as 7s26C movement? At least it would do as a temp till I can get a barrel complete for the Seiko.

Oh no a Frankenwatch is to be born. :)

The NH36 is the same basic movement as the 7S26, but with more jewels, hacking and winding. If you wish to keep the watch more functionally correct in respect to the the 7S26, why not buy a 7S36 movement? Exactly the same as the 7S26 but with two additional jewels. No hacking or winding either.

Seiko 7S26C_36C.pdf