Hello from Quebec, Canada

astralmind

Hi everyone,

I’m glad to have found this forum through the youtube channel, it seems like a very active and friendly community.

I’ve always been fascinated by early technology, automatons, watches and antiques in general. My previous hobby (short lived but intense) was collecting/restoring trunks which wasn’t exactly practical living in a small apartment! I stumbled on my great grandfather’s pocket watch last month in parents basement while helping them clean things up and it has revived my passion for these.

I was able (to my surprise) to find all about it within a couple of minutes thanks to google and pocketwatchdatabase and from there on well.. I’ve spent way too many hours reading, watching videos and now, bidding on auctions and checking the classifieds J At the moment my collection is limited to 3 watches but I intended to add to it and Iearn as I go. Above and beyond the collecting aspect, I want to understand and, if possible, maintain/fix them..down the road. I ordered a few books already, horribly cheap Chinese tool (knowing it is not a great idea but at 20$ it shall satisfy my curiosity for now) and if all goes well, I should inherit a few damaged movements that need to be looked into.

Verge Fusées caught my attention (of course.. expensive stuff) and I’m hoping to find some experts on here from whom I could learn. If by coincidence there are some members willing to share their knowledge in the Quebec (Montreal) area, give me a shout!

Looking forward to interesting discussions,

20171112_135515.jpg

• Like 1

A warm welcome to the forum A'mind, and thanks for a pleasant and informative introduction.

The pocket watch you have inherited is a very high grade timepiece and is truly magnificent!  Please don't even think about taking it apart until you have gained all the skills required, it is way too valuable to risk damaging it.

Could yo please post a picture of the dial side please?

Thanks for the warm welcome! Just to be clear, I certainly don't expect to own (much less take apart !) a Verge Fusee anytime soon hehe. I'm actually on the hunt for lots of broken movements to play with.

The watch I posted isn't the one I found from my great grandfather but my actual first purchase off the classifieds. T

rsz_120171112_134704.jpg

Hamilton 1.jpg

Hamilton 2.jpg

• Like 1