Silicone Grease (For Gaskets)

rodabod

I bought this from Cousins which was advertised as Silicone grease. Immediately I noticed that it smelled a bit like dubbin (animal fat) and also a bit like shoe polish. The colour is also amber. 

I heated a blob of it and it immediately melted and ignited, and when I distinguished it, it continued to leave a white smoke, like a candle. 

I told Cousins that I didn't believe that it was Silicone, so they've asked the manufacturer Ho have replied saying that it is indeed silicone grease. 

Is there anything I can do to prove it otherwise? I don't care about the cost of it (£3) - it's just the principle of buying something which isn't quite what you expected. I just can't believe that this is silicone grease. 

image.jpeg

54 minutes ago, rodabod said:

I bought this from Cousins which was advertised as Silicone grease. Immediately I noticed that it smelled a bit like dubbin (animal fat) and also a bit like shoe polish. The colour is also amber. 

I heated a blob of it and it immediately melted and ignited, and when I distinguished it, it continued to leave a white smoke, like a candle. 

I told Cousins that I didn't believe that it was Silicone, so they've asked the manufacturer Ho have replied saying that it is indeed silicone grease. 

Is there anything I can do to prove it otherwise? I don't care about the cost of it (£3) - it's just the principle of buying something which isn't quite what you expected. I just can't believe that this is silicone grease. 

image.jpeg

Doesn't say it's silicon grease? 

It's like Bergeon KT-22? It says silicon grease but it doesn't smell like silicon? And it's not working very good either? Have used it on gaskets and it makes the gasket stick to the crowntube in no time. Use Seiko silicon grease . That's the best? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rodabod said:

image.jpeg

That is  a Silicon applicator for gaskets. The foam/sponge is Impregnated with the silicone. I have used these applicators for many years with no issues. The gasket/ring is laid inside & then the lid is closed and twisted a few times to apply the silicone.

Thanks. My concern is specifically if the grease is actually silicone or not. I've opened watches with dissolved gaskets before, and it's quite probable that they've been dissolved by hydrocarbon-based greases. This stuff smells hydrocarbon based to me (a bit like shoe polish). 

2 hours ago, rodabod said:

Thanks. My concern is specifically if the grease is actually silicone or not. I've opened watches with dissolved gaskets before, and it's quite probable that they've been dissolved by hydrocarbon-based greases. This stuff smells hydrocarbon based to me (a bit like shoe polish). 

I'll be surprised if it is not Silicone. There are different types of silicone for example I have a small tub of "Seiko" silicone which is clear and very tacky. I have also some silicone that I purchased on the cheap from ebay and is it white and does not seem as tacky but it is however silicone. I suspect this is the type of silicone that is used in these pads to allow for easier transfer. 

Back to your original question I don't really see you can do anything about it anyway if Cousins are insisting it is silicone.

Interesting point you raise though about KT-22. Bergeon don't say their version is silicone, I have some from an American company that doesn't  mention silicone and it certainly doesn't look like silicone. Yet both Cousins and Walshs call it silicone (well, Walshs call it silicon for some reason). Makes me wonder if the word is being used incorrectly to mean gasket grease or something like that?

Stephen

• Like 2

On 11/15/2017 at 5:36 PM, rodabod said:

Is Bergeon KT22 definitely silicone? I've seen it advertised as silicone, but their website does not mention the word "silicone", whereas their other gasket grease does mention that it is silicone. 

Cousisnuk sell it as silicone grease. There is an other Bergeon product called silicon 7 . Interesting i will contact Bergeon and ask. 

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this begs the question: why is something OTHER than silicone used for case back gaskets if it destroys  them? 

I've had numerous Omega F300 casebacks that I've had to soak in lighter fluid to be able to dig them out of their groove. They were mush and turned into a sticky black mess merely from age.