Adjusting Nut for Boley Leinen Lathe

jdrichard

I set up my new Boley Leinen Reform lathe but the adjusting nut for the spindle does not lock as it is not a split nut and has no way of locking. I have included the photos. Would you know where one could get ine of these nuts?

2d688f96903d37721e564044e5b38326.jpg763f0dffeda9da145a01ab4c0f62b28b.jpg6ca0f712d7cc22edc4f99d7cedc6af91.jpg5b6509b7f0290f837f664e2d6003297b.jpg57cd5d7cf5a4bbd594d4126c8ddd8b2f.jpgc7c701465476c789622de155105fe662.jpg9d5f015928eb085dff4bcb9fafc23299.jpg

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd try to find out what is factory and replicate that, I'll look at mine but I don't want to take it apart.  I have enough machines in pieces strewn across my basement and garage lol.

Making a nut like that is very easy for anyone with a machine shop, just make a drawing and get it made.....but first I'd want to know what about it isn't factory, and if it is factory, why it isn't working

Edited by measuretwice

I'd try to find out what is factory and replicate that, I'll look at mine but I don't want to take it apart.  I have enough machines in pieces strewn across my basement and garage lol.
Making a nut like that is very easy for anyone with a machine shop, just make a drawing and get it made.....but first I'd want to know what about it isn't factory, and if it is factory, why it isn't working

I agree. It is so hard to find and data on boley leinen reform lathes and what the nut is supposed to be. Probably need a hand from all the resources out there. I have worn out the Google keys on my tablet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

JD, you require two thin nuts, one adjusts the end play of the shaft and the other is tightened against the adjuster nut to lock it.  You will require two "C" spanners to me the adjustment.

The nuts should look like these :- 

IMG_3980.PNG

Edited by Geo

Why not split the one you have and compress it slightly if you want to go that way?

I was going to get a nut that matches the one i have and do just that. There is a great fastener store 10 min from my house. Got all the hardware to bolt the lathe and motor to my deske04bf195d510f9612866e2fb82ac56bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On close inspection, it looks like the brass cover and the nut have been made as replacements.  The cover, appears to have been split with a hacksaw given that there are what appears to be linear scratching in the slot, and the depth (too shallow) and finish of the the threads do not look right for a machine made by Boley.