Vintage Britix (Landeron 48) Chrono runs very fast

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and to watch repair, so I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I purchased a Britix chrono with a Landeron 48 movement. It's running very fast, gaining about an hour a day. I originally thought it might be magnetized, and it was slightly, so I demagnetized it, but it was still running the same. I popped the back off and even though I know it is out of the range of adjustment, I adjusted it anyway just to see what effect it would have. It helped a little, but while I had it open I had a look at the balance spring and it "looked" fine. No coils stuck together or out of place. I know I probably need to have it serviced by a watchmaker, but I figured I'd ask here about what can cause this movement to run so fast. Being new to the mechanics of watches, I realize this is a newbie question, but I'm really curious, because I love this watch and I want it to be returned to it's former glory. I want to add that everything else on the watch works perfectly. The chrono runs smoothly, the subdial advances correctly, and when reset, the chrono hand centers perfectly at zero. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and the picture I took was after I adjusted the watch, which is why the needle is so far towards the "s".  

britixmovement.JPG

I had a similar problem on a fairly newish watch it just started running really fast, I like you looked at the mainspring under a loupe and it seemed ok but as Gpsluvr says the hairspring sets the timing so I took the complete balance assembly out and cleaned it in lighter fluid dried it put it back and problem solved the watch ran fine.

16 minutes ago, quantieme said:

I had a similar problem on a fairly newish watch it just started running really fast, I like you looked at the mainspring under a loupe and it seemed ok but as Gpsluvr says the hairspring sets the timing so I took the complete balance assembly out and cleaned it in lighter fluid dried it put it back and problem solved the watch ran fine.

Thanks for the answer! Is this something that can be done by a rank amateur? I'm pretty nervous about doing any work on the watch, but I'm willing to do it. I have the tools, and I could probably get it out, but is it relatively easy to get back in correctly? I do have experience working with small and delicate components (I used to repair smartphones and other electronics), but I realize that watches are an entirely different thing. 

1 hour ago, Gpsluvr said:

Hmmm. Examine that hairspring with a magnifier closely. That’s the only part that sets the overall timing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be sure to do this. I need to pick up a magnifier, but I'll grab one ASAP.  Thanks for answering!

3 hours ago, Chopin said:

Sounds to me like you need to get it serviced. Theoretically it should run fine afterwards... It sounds as if there aren't any problems or issues with the movements (as in damaged parts).

Thanks for replying! I really appreciate it! It gives me hope, as my local watchmaker was concerned with sourcing the parts since it's a vintage movement. 

14 minutes ago, SouthFLJay said:

Thanks for the answer! Is this something that can be done by a rank amateur? I'm pretty nervous about doing any work on the watch, but I'm willing to do it. I have the tools, and I could probably get it out, but is it relatively easy to get back in correctly? I do have experience working with small and delicate components (I used to repair smartphones and other electronics), but I realize that watches are an entirely different thing. 

If you are used to working with small components you should be ok, when you unscrew the balance cock screw easethe cock up gently with a screwdriver there is normally a recess in the side or end of the cock to facilitate this then hold the balance wheel with tweezers and gently ease it out, never try and lift it out by the cock because you can distort the hairspring if the pivot is stuck in dirt or oil. I put the complete assembly in a little glass pot put enough fluid in to cover it and agitate the fluid with a dust blower around the balance to work the fluid round it. I take it out after a few minutes put it on some paper towel and gently blow it dry with a dust blower. fitting is a reverse process just make sure you drop the balance impulse jewel into the pallet fork and screw the cock down gently a little at a time checking from the side that the balance wheel is level and moving freely, if you wind the movement a little before you drop the balance in, if it goes in correctly it should start moving straight awAy and then again just screw it down gently.

51 minutes ago, SouthFLJay said:

I have the tools, and I could probably get it out, but is it relatively easy to get back in correctly? 

I really, really recommend that you practice first of junk movements before going to a watch you love or is of some value. However, you do not even have any guarantee that bathing the balance would fix timekeeping. So for this time at least, give it to a trusted professional, or keep it as it is.

9 minutes ago, jdm said:

I really, really recommend that you practice first of junk movements before going to a watch you love or is of some value. However, you do not even have any guarantee that bathing the balance would fix timekeeping. So for this time at least, give it to a trusted professional, or keep it as it is.

Perhaps in hindsight I agree with Jim , definitely practice first

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Great advice! I have already ordered a few scrappers and a new cheap movement to practice on! I will be sure to bring it to a professional for service. Now to just find one I trust! Thanks again!

8 hours ago, jdm said:

+1

It looks as though the hairspring has been re-studded at sometime.  I can't say for certain (I may just be seeing a scratch on the plate) but from the image there appears to be several millimeters of slack to the left of the stud.  If that's the case then the spring might be a bit too short and the stud would need to be moved to lengthen the spring.

britixmovement.JPG.1052b23d5d09e0eb5d77b587c060b059.thumb.JPG.aa2288823a11e65b9c7ffdec3addff2e.JPG

Again, I'm not certain, but if this is the case then a watchmaker should be able to sort it out.  It sounds like the watch was a recent purchase so I'm also assuming it has been running fast for the entire time you've owned it- if that's not the case then my diagnosis is flat wrong.

1 hour ago, RyMoeller said:

It looks as though the hairspring has been re-studded at sometime.  I can't say for certain (I may just be seeing a scratch on the plate) but from the image there appears to be several millimeters of slack to the left of the stud.  If that's the case then the spring might be a bit too short and the stud would need to be moved to lengthen the spring.

Again, I'm not certain, but if this is the case then a watchmaker should be able to sort it out.  It sounds like the watch was a recent purchase so I'm also assuming it has been running fast for the entire time you've owned it- if that's not the case then my diagnosis is flat wrong.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply! It was a recent purchase, and it has been running fast the whole time I've owned it. The person I purchased it from didn't wear it, and was unaware of the issue. When I bring it to be serviced, I'll be sure to mention what you said to the watchmaker!

Thanks again!