Bone pile 1968 Timex Marlin Restore

JerseyMo

One of the great things about collecting and repairing is that feeling of taking a bunch of parts and making a working watch again.

This restore begins with a scrap pile of cases from a former Timex repair center.  I chose a late 1960's Marlin case that is missing the stem tube.

So to the parts stash and one issue resolved.  Off it than goes to get a bath in cleaning solution , polished, new crystal added along with correct case back.

Next I service a used #24 movement also from the same lot the cases came with and the assembly begins.

Since the hands are chromed, I just use an old eraser pencil to bring back their shine.  The sweep comes from NOS stock.

Grease the stem tube, set lever, insert a NOS stem\crown, snap on the case back and there ya go.

Will give this one a wear to test its time keeping.

DSC06551.JPG

DSC06552.JPG

DSC06557.JPG

DSC06558.JPG

DSC06564.JPG

DSC06562.JPG

DSC06563.JPG

DSC06565.JPG

DSC06566.JPG

DSC06567.JPG

DSC06568.JPG

DSC06569.JPG

DSC06570.JPG

DSC06571.JPG

• Like 13

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, azkid said:

Nicely done! Is it me or does the plating hold up better on that era/model versus many others? Maybe I have gotten lucky I don't know. :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I wold agree that the plating done in the 50's and 60's held up better than that done in the 70's.  Of course it all depends on who wore the watch and what type of day to day elements they were exposed to.  Mostly the contact of the skin to the metal.  Some of them really make you think OMG....did they dipped in acid?

5 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

I wold agree that the plating done in the 50's and 60's held up better than that done in the 70's.  Of course it all depends on who wore the watch and what type of day to day elements they were exposed to.  Mostly the contact of the skin to the metal.  Some of them really make you think OMG....did they dipped in acid?

I know, right? I suppose sweat is acidic. But some of these are like an Alien bled on 'em.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I just bought a 1976 Timex Marlin from Ebay, and when I wound it up, it ran smoothly for a couple of minutes but then stopped moving altogether. If I tap on it gently it might run for a few seconds and then stop. It'll also run for a couple of seconds if I adjust the hour and minute hand, but then stop when I stop adjusting the hands. I want to stress that I am completely new to the game of watches and servicing, so I was wondering if either anybody knows what the problem is and or is there somebody that could service it, or should I just try and attempt to service it myself. Thanks.