Patek question

Phillip

I am a retired jeweler, not a watchmaker, so forgive me if I don’t speak the correct language. 

A friend asked me to look at this little old Patek, which runs, drives the minute hand, but neither drives nor sets the hour hand. There are broken teeth on both the ‘barrel gear’(?) which engages in the setting mode, and also on the wheel that delivers power to the hour hand wheel.

What to do? Does anyone fix watches this badly damaged? Does anyone have a trove of parts for these old watches? Does anyone make replacement parts?

grateful for advice

Phillip

3F7D93FA-92AC-4950-B383-E36BBC5093DD.jpeg

2AE14C36-19AC-433F-9065-1BFD66FFAF7A.jpeg

F2C1FCA0-0638-4BDD-9349-A850251A8F43.jpeg

Very difficult because of age and exclusivity of make. The first thing I would try to do if find what movement this is. I saw  ladies Patek on bidding site that is similar to this but has adjustments and 18 jewels--that one was from 1942.

J

I would say that the first part, the clutch, could be interchangeable with clutches from various other watches. The problem is that, perhaps, the only way to find that part is by having someone with a huge box of such clutches try them all out until you find the one with the same dimensions.

Same rule could apply to the 2nd part which I don't know what is named but not sure... It's harder to find a non-Patek replacement for that one, I guess...

Edited by Chopin

I guess an experienced watchmaker with a well equipped workshop could let some teeth into that damaged brass wheel. The clutch wheel would be more difficult repair but as Chopin says, might find a suitable alternative clutch wheel.

It all really depends on what the watch is worth. Are the case and dial in good condition?

Patek would doubtless charge thousands and only offer a full refurb., so a compromise repair may be worthwhile.

The only way forward would be to identify the movement in order to establish what parts are available for that calibre, looking in a book I own (Patek Phillippe, Roy Ehrharrdt Joe DeMesy ) it looks like a calibre 8L-80 which would date the watch from sometime in the 1940's case reference numbers and serial numbers on the case may make it easier to establish exactly which movement it is.

The problem may come down to money it wont be cheap to source the parts there is a clutch wheel listed on ebay at the moment  at £140.00 pounds for this calibre add the other parts into the equation and you will soon be heading to the plus £1000 pound territory.

the watch could be very valuable depending on case design, if it is a jewelled case it will command more if its a simple gold case then the cost of repair is going to probably be more than the watch is worth.