Omega 484 crown issue

buzz12

Hi guys, I am looking to change the crown on this 484 movement back to a signed Omega crown but struggled to find a match. This makes me thing that someone in the past has maybe modified this case to take the crown (unsigned) that is on it at the moment. What do you guys think? Should this case have a tube for the crown? The (signed) crown on the left is the nearest size wise that I have been able to find but is a different model. I am thinking if I cut back the tube I may be able to make it fit. Can anyone see a reason why that would not work or a better solution to my dilema?  

DSCF3605.JPG

DSCF3606.JPG

DSCF3607.JPG

Am I right in saying that the signed crown is a dust-proof crown? (has a spring loaded collar) If so they're only meant to be fitted to cases without case tubes, just a hole. I couldn't tell you how the case is supposed to be or where to get the right crown, but unless i miss my mark the crown on the left is completely unsuitable, you'd have to remove the case tube, which looks to be very wide, leaving a hole much larger than the dustproof collar can cover. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the input Ishima, yes you are correct it is a dustproof crown. Good point about the hole size! Will have to check that out. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Omega's will come along a comment, but I don't think I will find an Omega crown to fit as it is a the moment because I think someone has fitted that tube... but I could be wrong?

Yes I did try the case ref. method but I never found a match. Probably because this watch is dated around 1964, case ref. is 511.184. I spent ages on one of the USA sites but never found a match.

Can anyone suggest where else I could try - using the case reference?

Jules Borel lists the crown here http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=OME_CS^511.184, which is indeed a hermetic crown so the case tube is correct.

They have the crown, as does Cousins https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/omega-hermetic-crowns-03mm-over?code=32001SX

Part number is 32001, so you may find elsewhere like ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ORIGINAL-OMEGA-YELLOW-Crown-32001-SW114-Crown-3-45mm-Diameter-/201453069536

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your help Stuart... your a star!  It would appear I need to brush up on my "searching Cousins database skills"... as well as my watch repairing skills! :startle:

The only crowns I found were - restricted! Mind you they were a lot cheaper than the ones you found :D

Off I go... to spend yet more money on this ever intriguing and costly hobby!!  Thanks again :Bravo:

If it all goes to plan I will post a pic of the finished jobby.

• 1 month later...

Finally project complete! Just like to say a big thank you to all the guys that helped along the way. Namely, Jdm, ecodec who helped in a different thread when I ran into an over-banking issue and the help offered here. Originally the watch was working fine, bar an issue with the winder which I guessed would be nothing more than the setting lever, so I set out to sort that and also replace the crown with a signed one along with a signed buckle. Since it is a very small ladies watch and was working well I wasn’t planning on stripping it down completely but that’s not how it panned out! Having replaced the setting lever all was going well until I re-cased the movement and found that it no longer worked. Inspired by the help on hand I decided to bite the bullet and strip it down completely. For the benefit of others - I have to say it was a real challenge! Had I not been fortunate enough to find a set of micro – screwdrivers among my tools I would not have been able to complete this project. I needed to be so close to see what I was doing I could barely get my tools anywhere near it. Anyway, after fully stripping it down it turns out it had over-banked due to a chipped exit stone on the pallet. Having now replaced the pallet fork, setting lever and a full service it is now back to its former glory complete with signed crown and buckle and keeping good time. For only my second completed watch repair I am chuffed with the results but you can rest assured I will not be rushing to take on any more ladies watches in a hurry!! Thanks again for your help guys, I would have been stuffed without you.  

DSCF3653.JPG

DSCF3654.JPG

• Like 1