Hello from Alabama

fireftr45

Hello All, My name is Erik, a Swedish-American New Jersey native, living in coastal Alabama which is right next to Pensacola, Florida.  I am a recently retired firefighter and former US Navy Submariner.  I have been interested in watches all my life and got more serious about them nearly 10 years ago.  Mostly diver watches and pilot watches but I am starting to gain an interest and appreciation for all of them.  I have been "Modding" Seiko watches for about 5 or so years and want to go deeper into the movements and repair.

I just completed level 1 & 2 of the watch classes and am now starting to practice stripping a movement.  I am ordering a seagull unitas clone, but it won't be here till almost Christmas so I have begun to strip an old 7S26 Seiko movement down.  While Modding, I pushed to hard while putting the hands on and something popped.  In my tear down I discovered that the cannon pinion had popped free which accounts for the minute hand free spinning.

I am taking the advice (from the classes) seriously and just trying to just gain some experience with the tweezers and screwdrivers.  While taking apart the 7S26 I could see I'd need a lot of practice.  If you guys could've seen how badly I handled the balance complete, you'd be laughing!!  I managed not to have bent anything I hope, but Mark makes it look easy in the videos.  I did manage to get it reinstalled on the empty main plate while all of these parts await cleaning.

Ultimately, my goal is to restore 2 watches.  My Godfather's Welsbro Chronograph (1950's) with a Valjoux 7733, and my Grandfather's Record Geneve Curvex (1944).  I am placing no time limit on these goals as I am sure it will be some time till I have the confidence to touch them.  After that, I would like to restore old Seiko and Swiss watches and other projects I might like.

Looking forward to having some fun here and making some new friends!

Hi Erik, All good stuff old boy. You have done well with Marks courses. He is as good as it gets. I was going for it but don`t really have the time. I am nearly 76 now  and am just an amateur repairer.  I was in electronic design MSc. Electronics and Just A level physics. I got into watches about 1962 as a hobby and started again 2 years ago. I have fixed many and only had one disaster, an  Omega Seamaster 300 which I should get on top of one day. It is my Grandsons and the balance is very worn and to boot I lost the top balance jewel under the incabloc lyre. Omega will sell you nothing. I may put an ETA  or similar movt: in it if one will fit Joe will not know the difference and it will keep good time. The Omega 552 can go in the drawer. Well, good wishes to you and keep em ticking !!.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fireftr45 said:

I just completed level 1 & 2 of the watch classes and am now starting to practice stripping a movement.  

Looking forward to having some fun here and making some new friends!

Hello there. This is a great group here and I am too, hope to take Mark's course sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinn3 said:

Thanks for serving - UNDER WATER !  I  was just a "dry dock nuckel buster".  your  gona like it here.  vin

Likewise Vin!  I did 3 trips through the yards while on those boats, 2 fixed drydocks and 1 floater.  It was a neat experience but always ended up being winter in Connecticut.  Thanks again for the welcome!  Looking forward to it.

• 6 months later...

Hi fireftr45, you are doing very well, keep going and develop a very light touch with mechanical sympathy ! Be especially careful with the balance. Once the Balance is free I lift it out carefully with the tweezers under and over the wheel as the HS does not get stretched by this method. Keep going and all good wishes. Mike.

Edited by ecodec