How do you dismantle a Horia tool?

matabog

Well logic would dictate that if it was assembled then it should disassemble I think the micrometer part should lift out from the top once the screw is removed or that appears to be what this chap has done with his, pity the site is in Chinese but there are pictures,

http://www.kwanghun.com/3hands/index.php?document_srl=181782&mid=hkhdiary

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, matabog said:

by the way, in google chrome you can right click -> translate to english and voila!

Ahh yes I see now he's converting it to take Seitz pushers which are a different size to Horia, I really am computer illiterate thanks for the tip

I started to blabber on about 99.9% of micrometer barrels are a very careful interference fit into the frame and I wouldn't try to remove it...when the brain says, "I think I have one of those".  Yup, so I took it apart for you.  Take the screw right out, its just a detent holding the barrel in the frame - you can see the dimple it sets in on the barrel.  Put a block of wood underneath business end (anvil in micrometer parlance) and carefully screw the micrometer down into it.  It will push the barrel out of the frame.

The threads are very robust, much more so than a 40 tpi micrometer...after all its designed for pressing.  It came out with minimal force, you won't hurt it :)

apparently mine too needs a good cleaning....I wonder what might dissolve the grime without damaging the crinkle/wrinkle finished (that I wish I could do)

ZMHlfjC.jpg

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, measuretwice said:

crinkle/wrinkle finished (that I wish I could do)

VHT Crinkle/wrinkle spray paint can be bought used mainly for car restoration, goes on glossy but the careful use of a heat gun produces the crinkle/wrinkle pattern its a great robust finish its a pity its not used more often now a days I have so many things made in the 1940-1950's that have the finish including my lathe.

THANK YOU!

You could try some benzine (Neophaline) to wash the grime.

Once I saw wls1971's post I understood how it went so I tried taking off the screw and pushing the business end into a brass piece but I chickened out. I had turned quite hard on the handle but it hadn't "said" anything 

I will let it be for now, I didn't get to use it yet :)I believe it's an older model with that wrinkle finish - I think nowadays it has a glossy finish. But mine doesn't have any grime on it so either hasn't seen much work, which I doubt, or it's been taken good care of very well  - or it's been washed before shipping :))

Good answer above. I did once exchange emails with someone at Horia - I think it might have even been the owner, seems quite a small company for making such a great range of tools. I was asking about this very subject, but unfortunately I must have deleted the correspondence. I'm pretty sure the procedure was the same or similar.

However when I told him that I wanted to buy a 4mm spindle from him so I could use the tool interchangeably with both 3mm and 4mm pushers he told me he wouldn't advise it, that the spindle and/or the tool might be damaged by repeatedly inserting and removing and it should only be done if necessary. Whether he was trying to get me to buy another tool who knows? He did seem quite genuine, and was fine that I didn't buy the extra spindle and pushers I was going to.

I think when you buy a tool like this 2nd hand as a general rule it is highly likely to be in good condition as someone paid a lot of money for it new and will have looked after it. Given the cost of a new one they also probably knew how to use it properly as well ;).

Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chadders1966 said:

However when I told him that I wanted to buy a 4mm spindle from him so I could use the tool interchangeably with both 3mm and 4mm pushers he told me he wouldn't advise it, that the spindle and/or the tool might be damaged by repeatedly inserting and removing and it should only be done if necessary.

I would think there is merit to that.  Achieving that sort of fit is a challenge in machining and tool making, of of the biggest.   I've done it often enough when making fits for high end bearings, you have maybe a micron in each direction then its too tight or too loose (as defined by the bearing manufacturer).  You have to hold your tongue just so when making parts like that.  On that assembly, the tolerance are just so small, any bit of wear will make it too lose, any ding will make it too tight.  

Its not going to wear so quickly that you should never take it apart, and its construction is such that you have to disassemble to clean and oil.   otoh I wouldn't do it daily; that precision fit cannot be damaged while its safely assembled. 

Edited by measuretwice

• 1 year later...

On Horia's website, horia.ch, you can purchase either a 3 mm or 4 mm spindle {REF. PO 61-02} SPINDLE for a price of CHF 62.90.  https://www.horia.ch/en/Products/Jewellling-Setting-staking-tools/Jewelling-tools/Accessories/Spindle-9.html

So if someone has a Horia tool with the 3 mm spindle, but wants to use 4 mm Seitz pushers (or 4 mm Horia pushers for that matter), you can buy the 4 mm spindle and switch it out.

I would agree with @measuretwice that you don't want to be switching spindles often.  I'd do it once and leave it alone.