Tim

Tim

Hello, 

I've been lurking awhile but only recently had the time to start participating. I had a long career in IT and was able to retire early. I wanted to do something I enjoyed doing while not yet feeble. I got my Watchmaking Certification so that I had something to keep me busy and I can do as much or as little as I like. i was a watch collector for many years and realized I'd go broke getting my collection serviced so I'm my own best customer — at least for now. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim said:

I've been lurking awhile but only recently had the time to start participating. I had a long career in IT and was able to retire early. I wanted to do something I enjoyed doing while not yet feeble. I got my Watchmaking Certification so that I had something to keep me busy and I can do as much or as little as I like. 

Welcome here, FYIt former or current IT is the most common profession here! In which country did you got certified?

• Like 1

Hi Tim, Nice to hear from you. I was an electronic engineer then sold up at 68. I am a bit old now (nearly 76). My old Dads Certina of 1949 vintage needed repairing. and no one would look at it !   I thought who cares OK, I will fix it myself. Staff EX a scrap watch and had to stone and polish the ends to size.  (broken yet the watch has incabloc)  clean and lube. I bought a few bits and necessary pieces, Timegrapher 1900 etc: and the Certina gains about 12 Secs a day on the wrist. OK for an old cracker fixed by an amateur. I have fixed all sorts since,  Quartz batteries and one O/C Osc. Coil,  Speedmaster service and a friends Rolex and he is still my friend. !!  JLC pocket watch and next door he has an Omega for me as well to sort out. Two shops  locally, one of whom I know personally have asked me to do their repairs...cheap to mid range watches mainly but I cannot take on commercial work. I am not a watchmaker, not insurable, and do not want any serious work. Tim, watch the video`s from Mark Lovick as he is a wonderful watchmaker/engineer. I have learned so much from him and another gentleman in a white coat. Look them up. All good wishes, Mike.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jdm said:

Welcome here, FYIt former or current IT is the most common profession here! In which country did you got certified?

I went through the program at Paris Texas at the Texas Institute for Jewelry Technology. There are really only three open enrollment programs in the U.S. and the Paris program happened to work best for me at the time. 

20 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Welcome to this forum. After watch/clockmaking I went into I T. I did it the other way round to you.:)

I liked IT a lot and I may dip my feet back in — haven't decided. After 30+ years I was battling burnout and needed a break. I still keep current and most of the stuff I worked on has not changed much over the past five years since I bugged out. Security has had the most movement, but that was always my least favorite technical area. I mostly did networking and datacenters.