transporter

Gents I, m currently working on a swiza mantle alarm clock, 8 day movement I believe, anyway, I stripped cleaned and lubed the movement and got the alarm back in sync, it ran great for two weeks but then stopped.

Re wound and off it went, not a full 8 winds as from empty, but only 5 winds, looking at the escapement it will run fine with a little shake but then slowly come to a stop, not  a sudden stop but a slow stop. Now I did put a small amount of oil on a few of the escape wheel teeth so as to allow it to spread throughout due course of the movement running. I don't have any FIX O DROP at the moment, could this be the cause of the stoppage, ie the oil running away off the parts, or the big question should I oil the escape wheel teeth ( only a few) or not oil and allow the movement to run?

I remember these movements and quite good they are to. Sounds nothing to do with oil and escapement. I suggest you take a good look at the large wheel pivots. That is the wheel that runs next to the barrel, the 8 day movements have a powerful spring so the large wheel takes all the wear, it normally shows in the bush or the pivot or both have worn, you need to check both sides, I’ll be very surprised if any of the other train holes or pivots are worn. As it doesn't go its full 8 days tells me the power isn't getting through. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/7/2017 at 7:34 PM, oldhippy said:

a tiny little oil on a few excape wheel teath, the motion of the work will spread the oil to the rest of the teath and to the pins on the pallets and it wont form a blob at the bottom of the pallets.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is this also a suitable method for oiling a watch. seems way easier than oiling the pallet fork directly.

3 hours ago, SteveT said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is this also a suitable method for oiling a watch. seems way easier than oiling the pallet fork directly.

watches require special oils (see  many posts on THAT).  oil types used on clocks are not that  special.   vin

Can we get a clarification perhaps a picture of your clock? Reason for the clarification you're discussing a jeweled movement not always found in clocks but sometimes found in very large watches that are used in clocks.

Then whether or not you used FIX O DROP  Is not going to be a problem. Most watch people don't use it and they get along just fine the oil isn't going to spread that fast providing all the surfaces are clean.