Rotary Quartz battery replacement - separating movement and back

RJK

I have split the case open on a friend's Rotary Quartz.

The movement came out 'in' the back - so I now have the empty 'front' of the case (which has the gasket visible) and the 'back' which has the movement seeming stuck in it, BUT with the stem captive to the back - so it's not just about levering the movement out as the stem passes through a hole not a cutout.

Could anyone advise how I separate movement from case?

It would appear to require removal of the stem but I did not wish to attempt that without asking - as clearly I cannot see the movement back and thus no visibility of the usual spring/button release.

Many thanks. 

Stem removal is the most often asked question. Normally beginners can't identify the push point by themselves, so identify the mov.t used and search on Google.

BTW, there is a section on this forum where most people likes to introduce themselves before asking questions.

Edited by jdm

I think a picture or at least model number would help us, hard to tell from your description, there are a few unusual rotarys, including one piece cases, reversos, as well as more regular 2 and 3 piece cases. Impossible to advise you until we're sure of the design.
As JDM suggests an introduction would also help, it's awkward to explain some things when we don't know if someone is a complete newbie to watch repair or has experience and knowledge. 

Edited by Ishima

The picture looks like you have a thin movement ring around the movement which will come out of the caseback with the movement. There appears to be a slot in the caseback which will allow the stem and crown to pass through.

Using the first picture for reference with the crown on the right... Hold the outer diameter of the caseback in your left hand between first finger (above 12) and thumb (below 6).

Place your right hand first finger under the crown and thumbnail on the upper face of the outside step on the caseback, then use finger and thumb to gently ease the movement out of the case.

Dont press so hard that you could bend the stem. If it won’t move like this then something else is at play.

Edited by StuartBaker104

So, the movement can be prised away from the back - see pic - but the stem remains attached and as I said previously is very definitely captive to the caseback.

The ring through which the stem is captive (see first pic above) appears very integral to the caseback - it has the lip which registers and snaps into the casefront.

This does indeed seem complex for changing the battery - I can in fact see it and could no doubt replace it through the aperture I now have but it could do with a clean and I'm not inclined to bodge it.

I see the comment re removing the hands and face, but can't believe this is the 'normal' process for replacing the battery - and who's to know for sure whether that would even reveal the usual plunger etc.?

Any further thoughts?

IMG_3554.JPG

Just some random thoughts... can you see a caliber number at this point? May be worth finding a parts list to see if a split stem is an option, or if it shows an unusual stem release feature

Alternatively does the case have any other markings which might be worth googling?

I agree that removing hands and dial seems an unlikely way to proceed... especially because the set lever is likely to be hidden under the date wheel retainer

I've worked on this type of Rotary many times before, it is a simple split stem which means the winder must be pulled out from the outside of the case before proceeding further. (Im sure the forum has posts about removing split stems already for you to look up) then the dial/movement should drop out/be lifted out of the case back without issue and without removal of dial/hands from movement. I believe you can change the battery with everything sitting in the front portion of the case dial down, but if not use a movement holder to avoid dial/hand damage. Also, you got this far, but I remember it being a tightly fitting case, stay mindful about the softness of gold (9ct if i remember so not as soft as it could be, but still) damaging the case could be all too easy. 

Edited by Ishima

On 11/5/2017 at 9:43 PM, RJK said:

So, the movement can be prised away from the back - see pic 

I think that's an ETA 955. You should be able to press the stem release (indicated by the arrow) with curved tweezers.

ETA995114-2H.jpg

Edited by jdm