Folkvisor

French Mantle (Slate) Clock Movement

Someone used small nails instead of tapered pins to fasten the plates on the posts.

The metal is soft and they are hard to remove without wrecking the nail. I've tried everything I can to get them all out but I've only been successful with one.

Any ideas? It would be nice if people would use the right parts!

A pair of cutters should do the trick. I had a top and side pair made by Linstrom from Sweden. They often come up on ebay and bloody good they are.  You can grab hold of the nail or pin and pull from the side of the plate. Have you tried a flat end punch and small hammer or has the nail or pin not gone through the holes.    

I got 2 out. Good thing I'm not getting paid by the hour!

I am using nose pliers and a string lifter made from a pitchfork tyne from my piano tools. Seems to work...

(The side cutters I bought don't get close enough to the side of the clock. I'll keep looking for better ones.)

One of the pins is bent. I doubt it will pull out. 

I think the only solution is drilling it out after smoothing the end of the pin down to the brass post. It is slightly smaller than 1/16" so perhaps a 3/64" drill or 1/32?

Any suggestions? I think the pin is soft enough not be a problem for a drill; however, guiding the drill may not be so easy.

Just make a tiny start punch mark. Use a smaller drill then the pin, drill right through, then insert a reamer and ream it out, you might find with a little pressure the pin might start to move round and the reamer might push the rest of the pin out.

OK, will do. I need to buy some smaller drills in Winnipeg next week. They don't have anything smaller than 1/16" in town.

But I do have a small reamer.

I take it that it's best to grind the old pin down to the post first as well.