I was wandering around ebay (you never know what you can find) and I spotted a few pocket watches.

While I fully admit not being anywhere remotely close to having any expertise in pocket watches, I thought some of the pocket watch experts here would get a chuckle.

I found this one, apparently an Omega:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-WWI-Imperial-Russian-officers-award-Omega-pocket-watch-NO-RESERVE-RARE/302504949895?hash=item466eb33887:g:Mg0AAOSwEOpZ9OwF 

This one a Lange & Sohne: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/German-General-award-A-LANGE-SOHNE-A1-GRADE-CHRONOMETER-silver-enamel-watch/322111062708?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D48736%26meid%3Dc2edbb2340cf4c76b8ce5137abeca126%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D322736087928&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982  

A "one of a kind" Patek, only 99,000 US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOW-The-earliest-known-Patek-Philippe-Perpetual-Calendar-Moon-Phase-watch-c1866-/302506227233 

a "ONE OF A KIND WWI Imperial Russian Submarine Captain's Chronograph award watch"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-OF-A-KIND-WWI-Imperial-Russian-Submarine-Captains-Chronograph-award-watch-/322836262374 

But my personal favorite is this one:

960091053_tp.jpg.7826e011e893263df8ec3ddfa26affe6.jpg   

The ad states : Important Historical WWI German Officer's Iron Cross award silvered pocket watch

the seller wants ...harumpf... 5,775 US dollars for it.

There's a just a teeny tiny problem with the description and watch...

just a little one....well maybe more than one, but this one is a problem.

The picture on the watch is quite famous,  it appears in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge#/media/File:German_soldier_Ardennes_1944.jpeg 

it's from the Ardennes Offensive aka the Battle of the Bulge which occurred in ....

well after World War 1

German_soldier_Ardennes_1944.jpeg.thumb.jpeg.5da3b50f79680d851e55794e08e2c6df.jpeg

• Like 2

I've reported these items to eBay and promised that it'll be taken care of. Hopefully with all of us, joint efforts, it'll make it harder for criminals to operate and abuse innocent people.

Yep, being new (and naïve) to the watchmaking hobby I got caught on ebay to a much lesser degree with a so-called “Oris” vintage wristwatch. I feel stupid now as this “vintage“ 1960s watch had no patina on the dial or the usual scratches/dings on the case that you would expect from a watch of this era. On opening it there was a bright new shiny “Swiss Made” 17 Jewel movement with a cheap plastic retaining ring. Definitely not an Oris movement. A less than £40 “bargain”. Amazingly it keeps brilliant time though :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AdamC said:

Yep, being new (and naïve) to the watchmaking hobby I got caught on ebay to a much lesser degree with a so-called “Oris” vintage wristwatch. I feel stupid now as this “vintage“ 1960s watch had no patina on the dial or the usual scratches/dings on the case that you would expect from a watch of this era. On opening it there was a bright new shiny “Swiss Made” 17 Jewel movement with a cheap plastic retaining ring. Definitely not an Oris movement. A less than £40 “bargain”. Amazingly it keeps brilliant time though :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have also bought a watch for repair at a flea market for about $5 which turn fake. I guess in a way as beginners its part of paying our dues for getting into this hobby.  About the watch keeping time, I have Chinese watches that I've bought for less than $5 about a year ago and they keep time perfectly.:huh:

Edited by PJA
  • Like 1

let's hope that eBay will block the seller soon. I've reported him about two hours ago on the "Report item" above the item number and also have called them and spoke to a rep, but the seller is still there, unfortunately.

Edited by PJA

It is right to report sellers of fake or wrongly described items to Ebay. However in case of this seller riaerica2000 I would be cautious, as on his side are 2185 positive feedback (100%) since 2004. And with PayPal handling the payment and routinely siding with the buyer, it's not so easy to pull scams for for a long time. 

• Like 1

Fools and their money are easily parted, the Bulgaria seller has been at it for years he takes some very high end watches and ruins them in a bid to add value by giving them spurious provenance . Other favorite themes include the  1936 olympics , doctors watches, memento mori always featuring skulls.

I cannot see Ebay dealing with him any time soon he as been making good money for years and I should think continue to do so.

Other widely faked watches at the moment are Breitling and Cuevro Y Sobrinos chronographs all derived from 1940's and 1950's landeron based chronographs with dials refinished and movements and cases laser etched once you learn to spot them it is surprising how many are floating around Ebay  especially among Italian and American sellers.

Ebay "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious"

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 2

The funny thing with the Patek is that he posts a picture of the watch from a catalog, and there is also a picture of the moment in the catalog. The movement pictured in the catalog and the one he has pictured on the listing do not match. I reported the item.

As for the Omega, lol!!! I asked him to post a picture of the certificate of authenticity, just for laughs.

I wonder how many people spend more than few $100 on ebay... in my opinion, it's a lot of money to give someone for a product you have not seen with your own eyes. And my wallet can't afford the loss.

10 hours ago, vinn3 said:

i have not had very good luck buying on the internet.  vin

If it makes you feel any better I got soaked on this one, i must have read to quickly its just for the spring bar, not the band

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-High-Quality-Spring-Bars-Pins-for-Watch-Bands-Straps-18-26-mm-new/302247792502?hash=item465f5f4f76:m:mq_ajmxAeTFYTYAS_CcvuSw   

In the early years ofcollecting,I too bought Omega,Oris and the like with non existing dails ...frankenwatches ect. Even a "unique" Seiko. Allpart of the learning experience....Lately, I saw a lot of "printed" dails for erotic and ww2 pocket watches...do research before you buy.

internet site  adverts are designed to fool.  i sent money to the Bay for a watch bracelet pin pusher,  though it was well designed, it had soft metal and the pins bent - and broke.  the  recovery is " make good steel pins and harden them properly".   vin

3 hours ago, vinn3 said:

internet site  adverts are designed to fool.  i sent money to the Bay for a watch bracelet pin pusher,  though it was well designed, it had soft metal and the pins bent - and broke.  the  recovery is " make good steel pins and harden them properly".   vin

Hehe, that exactly the same type of pin pushers I was getting too :)
But I think you're generalizing too much.
I trade watches on the internet, plus I buy all kinds of stuff. Never had a problem, and most sellers and buyers are wonderful. Last week a Chinese seller offered to ship again the item (for free) because it had erroneously been sent as registered mail instead of ePacket!  Of course when I pay cheaply, I receive cheap stuff, just like when I buy at the thrift shop on the corner.