Tweezers with special tips

mikesomething

Hi all

I am thinking of getting some new tweezers this week. At the moment I had dumont number 2 and some cheap brass ones, and I like both of these, but want to get some more for whatever

I have been looking at some of the tipped options, such as the wood tipped ones from dumont, and horotecs carbon fibre and their vulcanised fibre ones

I was thinking that some tipped tweezers might be nice for certain assembly jobs, and was wondering if anyone had tried any of these options?

Aside from the normal tweezers (dumont style 1) and a set of brass ones (style 1AM), I have a set of plastic tweezers to change batteries (about a dollar....), a set of very fine tipped tweezers (hairspring manipulation, style 5), a set of stronger tweezers (style 00, rarely use them).

Note: I don't actually have the dumont branded ones, just the same styles

On my list is a set with curved tips, for when things are in the way (style 7?)

Definitely recommend investing in good brass pickups. Safest to do most of your work with them until you get to specialized tasks. I love the one I recently got for hand manipulation, I think F type but don’t quote me on that. I keep the cheapo ones for force work like replacing chrono springs and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not tipped per se, and they're not as easy to find, but I recommend anyone have a pair of bronze tweezers, more precise and durable than brass but still has that perfect little bit of softness that makes handling awkward parts easy and reduces risk of scratches. I picked up a pair of 'asco' bronze tweezers from ebay, an apparent swiss manufacturer, they were about £20 and they're absolutely superb. 

• Like 1

Not tipped per se, and they're not as easy to find, but I recommend anyone have a pair of bronze tweezers, more precise and durable than brass but still has that perfect little bit of softness that makes handling awkward parts easy and reduces risk of scratches. I picked up a pair of 'asco' bronze tweezers from ebay, an apparent swiss manufacturer, they were about £20 and they're absolutely superb. 

Yes!! That’s it, ASCO highly recommended.

• Like 1

plexi what used for what?

Pretty much any contact with parts and movement that doesn’t require picking up. You can use it as counter pressure to pick something with the other hand, when you get a bridge installed and all pivots are engaged you hold it down with the plexi while you get the first screw in, etc etc

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jguitron said:

This is te extent of my Pick-up armamentarium. Next is tweezers to manipulate cap jewels

21c544659b2d032c15594cdf3f4a40bd.jpg

e62918d21bfe212521262f97e65b7997.jpg

Love the finish you have on your tweezers tip  . How do you accomplise that? 

Edited by rogart63

Love the finish you have on your tweezers tip  JDM . How do you accomplise that? 

Lol

You mean my fingerprints allova?

[emoji6]

EDIT: sorry I missed the tip part... I’ve not done anything to it. So far working perfectly.

4 minutes ago, jguitron said:

Lol

You mean my fingerprints allova?

emoji6.png

Not ironic this time  :)  I mean the tip they look so shiny . Even if i use 1200 papper or diamond sticks i don't  get that shine . On the outside it would look nice. Inside the tweezer i prefer  sanded finish. 

Edited by rogart63

again my apologies to mike, this is getting off topic fast, but I have to ask two things, can someone link me to these plexi sticks, i actually cant find them anywhere, and interesting that you put a mirror finish on your tips, is there a specific reason? like rogart i like to put a satin finish inside to improve the grip on parts. 

Edited by Ishima

again my apologies to mike, this is getting off topic fast, but I have to ask two things, can someone link me to these plexi sticks, i actually cant find them anywhere, and interesting that you put a mirror finish on your tips, is there a specific reason? 

@rogart63

Sorry I missed the point initially. These tweezers come with mirror finish out of the box. They are filed under hand specific pickups. Perfectly rounded. It feels super safe to handle hands without he fear of scratching them at all. I don’t use them for anything else to keep them in good shape.

10d32bf2c5a02a77bdff8dc18f71857e.jpg

5158774e56ddf36e87a8ac252fa4bf25.jpg

67ad864ae96d7701446092b36bd9f06d.jpg

• Like 1