Moebius 9034/2 or Moebius 9000/2 ?

Tmuir

There are lots of threads about which oil to use on mechanical watches, but not many on the discussion for quartz watches.

I don't plan to do too many quartz watches, so would prefer to only buy one quartz watch oil. (if possible)

The ETA955.112 technical sheet recommends Moebius Synthetic 9034/2, but then we have Moebius 9000/2 which is specifically made for quartz watches.

If I was to only buy one which one would you recommend?

9000 is fine with plastics but I don't know about 9034, I also see the two oils have different viscosity too, and I think the 9034 being the lighter (finer) oil

To add to the confusion if you look at the newest tech sheet for ETA955.112 They have another oil 9014. Then I have noticed that the 9000 quartz oil doesn't always appear in the tech sheets for lubricating quartz watches?

The problem with horological lubrication is to try to find anything that resembles meaningful specifications that we can use. So 9014 has a viscosity of 98cts 20°C. Not the best for plastics it is a is a mix of 70% of 9010 and 30% of 9030. 9034 specifically labeled for plastic at low temperatures has a very low viscosity of 60cts 20°C. The concern I would have with really low viscosity oils is usually recommend surface treatment to keep the oil from spreading adding to your cost. Then 9000 has a viscosity of 100 cSt at 20°C and is specifically designed for quartz watches.

So I have used the 9000 it does work really nicely on quartz watches.

I think I will just go with 9000.

My other hobby is toy and model steam engines and if you want to start a lively discussion there you ask whether you prefer to use distilled water in your engines, or deionised water.

I think 'which oil is the best' would be the equivalent question in horology to get a wide and varied discussion.

• 2 years later...

I'm doing my very first quartz watch movement, an ETA 955.112 (my old fathers). ETA's latest technical communication specifies 9014 for the jewel pivot holes. Now, I don't plan to service many quartz watches so I'm a bit reluctant to make the "investment". Just how bad would it be to use for example 9010 instead? I certainly wouldn't want to ruin anything, physically or the time keeping. I also have HP-1300 and thicker oils/lubricants.

M9010 is 150cst @20c. nearest other than M9000 and M9104, is M941 (for pallet stones) at 105 cst @ 20c but this is an ester not a mineral/PAO (synthetic mineral oil), so not sure of effects on plastic parts.  Like you I don't use a lot so didn't want the expense of M9000 for one or 2 watches.  I have used M9010 without trouble on an ETA 955.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, canthus said:

M9010 is 150cst @20c. nearest other than M9000 and M9104, is M941 (for pallet stones) at 105 cst @ 20c but this is an ester not a mineral/PAO (synthetic mineral oil), so not sure of effects on plastic parts.  Like you I don't use a lot so didn't want the expense of M9000 for one or 2 watches.  I have used M9010 without trouble on an ETA 955.

Good to know and thanks for your reply! I think (but except for the experience made by you I'm guessing) that a possible (only) downside would be a shortened battery life? Anyway, if anyone can refute och confirm I'd appreciate the education. 

There is another simple way to look at the lubrication problem.  You're supposed to be running a series of electrical checks to verify the watch is functioning correctly. So two tests that would be affected by increased friction are the current consumption Less than or equal to 1,20 μA. Then there is the low-voltage check both of these are not going to work properly if you have too much friction or if something else is wrong.

_c_t_ct_955112_fde_491181_10.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 10/30/2017 at 9:40 AM, Tmuir said:

I think I will just go with 9000.

My other hobby is toy and model steam engines and if you want to start a lively discussion there you ask whether you prefer to use distilled water in your engines, or deionised water.

I think 'which oil is the best' would be the equivalent question in horology to get a wide and varied discussion.

I vote for anything  that  comes out of a distillery. 

• Haha 1