Another shockresist device, this time broken

Hi all,

A while ago I had great help from Geo and others to id an old type of shock device.

Well, I found myself another one... But this time in less good shape.

I have attached a photo of the balance cock and what I suppose is the broken off balance jewel with the remaining spring and centering part still sitting under the c-shaped locking ring.

Apart from this, pivots and other things look good.

Does anyone know if these items are still available from any supplier or am I forced to hunt for a donor movement? I searched Cousins but found nothing.

If worst comes to worst and I'm stuck, I have even been playing with the idea to make this into a fixed jewel. It "should" be possible to fix the balance jewel in there with a tiny piece of shellac or what do you think?

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.cd0b950cb436f704fd08d5ec1b0d8581.jpg

Hi guys and apologies for not being to clear on this one...

Below is a link to my previous post with more pictures and in one of the replies a link to the excellent walk through from Geo.

Geo's photos show how the balance jewel is circled by a spring like item that on my part has broken off. This is the part I need to replace.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/7130-early-shock-proof-device-service/

And thanks for the shock device overview. Can't see mine there though...

I stumbled over a similar overview (attached) and there I see something similar to mine called Simrex. But the name I have seen on Ranfft and other places is Shock Resist, which is actually the neighbour in my overview... all very confusing for a beginner.

ShockSystem.jpg

1 hour ago, bsoderling said:

Hi guys and apologies for not being to clear on this one...

Below is a link to my previous post with more pictures and in one of the replies a link to the excellent walk through from Geo.

Geo's photos show how the balance jewel is circled by a spring like item that on my part has broken off. This is the part I need to replace.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/7130-early-shock-proof-device-service/

And thanks for the shock device overview. Can't see mine there though...

I stumbled over a similar overview (attached) and there I see something similar to mine called Simrex. But the name I have seen on Ranfft and other places is Shock Resist, which is actually the neighbour in my overview... all very confusing for a beginner.

ShockSystem.jpg

That was exactly the one i meant. That looks like a Citizen para shock spring. But where to find one? Tissot used a lot of different kinds of shock springs. Search Lemania and Omega. 

Edited by rogart63

Yes, it's most likely Shockspring.

But finding a spare one is a completely different business, it seems.

I was also thinking again over my idea to mount the broken off jewel fixed... since the spring holds the jewel in a "free" position where it's able to move to absorb shocks, I guess I would have to somehow shim under the part to get enough end shake.

Sounds tricky....

I will ask around those I know supply spares and see if anything surfaces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could a spring from a Citizen work. Have a few of those if you like to try. As we are both i Sweden there is no problem in trying. They look the same but not sure about the size. You could also change the complete bloc to a incabloc. 

The citizen springs are definitely working along the same lines even though they are probably more advanced. And the jewel holes must reasonable fit to work, I guess.

I have a couple available from a pack of spare movements purchased from asia. Definitely worth an investigation! You will hear back regardless of outcome :)

Swapping the entire thing for incabloc sounds interesting but not easy... I suppose the diameter of the insert is the crucial thing to get right from start? And then the height position needs to be tuned for correct end shake?

Det är aldrig för sent att ge upp... :)

Will sleep on this one. Maybe I could swap out the jewel in the citizen part for another one with a larger hole size...? Don't know how they get those jewels to stay there though, the metal looks very thin.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...

Here follows chapter 2 in this possibly never ending story.

I picked up another grimy watch for like 2 euro and opening it found, to my surprise, an AS1123 movement in not too bad condition. And even more, it appeared to be equipped with the Shock Resist device I need as a donor.

Happily I ripped it apart just to find .... there are different sizes of these items and my donor part is of significantly smaller diameter than the broken one (see photo)

Darn... no luck... well maybe I can get that AS1123 up and running again... have to see the bright side :-)

Anyhow... as there seems to be at least 2 versions of this Shock resist design and possibly more to find, I throw the question out to see if there's any documentation or links to more info around on these things.

Grateful for any knowledge out there!

IMG_0408.JPG

Hi szbalogh,

Thanks, but it actually isn't... (I wish it was, would have made my life easier [emoji3])

Citizen must have picked up on the idea as their design resembles this much older Shock Resist design.

If you scroll up in the post you will find more info on the device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1