Question

Hello, quick question in regards to replacement watch glass. 

I’ve brought a Seiko 5 and the watch glass is 1.7mm thick. I’m looking at replacing this with a sapphire crystal (for no particular reason if I’m honest, the previrus owner had it swapped with acrylic and despite this it isn’t badly scratched), I can’t however find a sapphire crystal listed as 1.7mm.

I can however find 1.5 and 2.0mm. Would either of these be suitable?

Even if I look on cousinsuk the mineral glass isn’t listed in 1.7.

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

22 hours ago, CornishPirate said:

I can’t however find a sapphire crystal listed as 1.7mm. I can however find 1.5 and 2.0mm. Would either of these be suitable?

I would use 2.0mm,  as it makes it much more robust, and even if stands a little proud of the bezel, that's actually nice. The Ebay ones mentioned  above are double domed, that may not be what you want.

You'll find sapphire with that thickness on chinese online stores. Look it up on eBay or aliexpress.com.

Here's one for 1,6mm. You could try other large online stores but I'm not sure if they have it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6mm-Thick-30-38-5mm-Double-Domed-Sapphire-Watch-Crystal-Glass/302390289985?hash=item4667dda641:m:mYqJ8FK7B_ylMPPH0It4TmA

Edited by Chopin

50 minutes ago, CornishPirate said:

Hello, quick question in regards to replacement watch glass. 

I’ve brought a Seiko 5 and the watch glass is 1.7mm thick. I’m looking at replacing this with a sapphire crystal (for no particular reason if I’m honest, the previrus owner had it swapped with acrylic and despite this it isn’t badly scratched), I can’t however find a sapphire crystal listed as 1.7mm.

I can however find 1.5 and 2.0mm. Would either of these be suitable?

Even if I look on cousinsuk the mineral glass isn’t listed in 1.7.

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

What seiko number does the watch have? Check the case back. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BriGuy
      Hi, I’m trying to replace the crystal on this expedition.  I have pulled the stem and the movement. The crystal was shattered. It seems to be a 29.5mm crystal with a 1mm depth. I don’t see a gasket. How would I apply the new crystal? Does it press without a gasket?
      Thank you for any help provided!
      Brian 

• By Lorenz
      Hey guys, my name is Lorenz. I am an 18 year old electrical engineering student from Germany. 
      I got this Breitling chronospace a56012.1 from my granddad and I want to repair it.
      Besides a slight clicking noise while turning the crown ( someone please let me know if this is normal ) it works just fine.
      My main problem is that the black color on the Bezel is worn out on some positions and I dont know where to find a paint that holds on the metal nor do I know how to paint it again.
      I have worked with watches already, I disassembled a mechanical movement cleaned and oiled it again so I feel pretty confident in doing this job.
      And I would also like to change out the crystal, does anyone know what size crystal I need for this watch?
      Thanks in regards for any advice.

• By arkobugg
      Working on a nice little Certina with square shape, and wounder where to get a new glass??  Somebody that have some leads??

• By rduckwor
      I'm looking for a replacement mainspring for an old Elgin movement.  CousinsUK seems to me to have the best "look-up" feature UNLESS your search comes up empty.  The original spring is 0.1MM X 1.25 MM X roughly 270MM in length.  this of course turns up nothing.  What variable do you start with that is least injurious to the movement and accuracy when you must locate a substitute mainspring. I understand that heaight and length are rather fixed variables.  Can I go up slightly in strength without too much badness happening?

Thanks,

RMD
    • By wilding
      Any advice out there for cleaning/polishing watch crystal glass?
      I know there are videos upon videos on howto clean acrylic watch crystal glass using toothpaste, Cape Cod cloths, an old toothbrush, etc.
      However, I am trying to get a number of scratches out of a watch crystal I have taken the movement out of. It is for me a "tester".
      I am fairly sure that this "tester" watch crystal is glass.
      I have sandpaper (wet/dry) and I have a Cape Cod cloth which I have just started using.
      I think you can see the scratches in question in the pics.
      So, what I have done so far is use 400-grit sandpaper to scrub across the grain of the scratches. I have also tried scrubbing in a circular motion.
      Maybe I am just not very persistent at this. I scrubbed for some time. But all I can see is that NOTHING is disappearing, and the only thing that IS happening is that now the whole glass is covered in a new set of sandpaper-made marks.
      Maybe I can use the Cape Cod cloth to get these out. Maybe I can use the other 1500-grit sandpaper to smooth things out too.
      This process looks so easy in the various Youtube videos. yes, I know these things can take time, but HOW LONG?? This is NOT one of the fun sides of watch repair that I am looking forward to doing now or, in fact, any time.
      I really thought that it would be the case that - scratches and marks on the crystal? No problem! I can get them out! :)
      But perhaps I was naive (?)
      How long should I be scrubbing with the sandpaper? Is 400-grit not enough? Should I get more coarse sandpaper?