Fully charged movement not starting

Chopin

I had to disassemble a Seiko 4006A movement and then re-assemble it and although I cleaned it in the process I only lubricated very few parts (long story).

Everything about it functions except for the actual time keeping. It charges, it winds but it won't start. If I go into time setting mode and slowly advance the hands then it stars (seen this on other watches as well) but stops once I stop rotating the hands.

Is this simply a lack of lubrication somewhere ? If yes where as I don't want to take it all apart again, not at the moment at least. Since it's clean shouldn't it run ? Maybe not with the best accuracy but at least start...

Is there some way I can cheat this by just lubricating some parts without having to take it all apart ?

Edited by Chopin

When I stripped it apart I couldn't remove the cannon pinion and center wheel or whatever it's called on the other side.

It was tight but I didn't try to force it out. They both rotate as one as there's friction between them as if they were one part.

Is this bad ?

When I stripped it apart I couldn't remove the cannon pinion and center wheel or whatever it's called on the other side.
It was tight but I didn't try to force it out. They both rotate as one as there's friction between them as if they were one part.
Is this bad ?

I’d say that may be the culprit. When you washed it, it probably wasn’t cleaned there. The force needed to spin may not be much to your finders but it’s insurmountable to the movement.

I suggest you work on removing CO and wheels associated, wash them well and try again.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok so I pulled out the pinion from the center wheel. Took a bit of force. Should I just clean these 2 parts or must they be lubricated as well ? The pinion slides into the center wheel with resistance...

Yes, clean and lubricate.

Now’s a good time to check the movement. Wind up the ratchet wheel and if it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I mean to say is. The center wheel goes into the pinion. Are they supposed to move independently in some cases or are they supposed to rotate as one always ? So that's why I'm asking if I should lubricate the center wheel's "rod" that goes into the pinion.

52 minutes ago, Chopin said:

Problem solved I think... I thought the movement can be hand wound but I don't think it can. I think i was charging the alarm spring rather than the main spring... Oh dear... Lots more to learn hehe...

Chopin yes, a small dot of moebius 9010 on the cannon pinion before placing center wheel. I think all (or most) Seikos run completely on automatic wind. 

J

On 10/25/2017 at 1:51 PM, noirrac1j said:

I think all (or most) Seikos run completely on automatic wind. 

Certainly not all or most. For example, in the current product line, only one mov.t (7S26) has no manual winding. Same in the past, only the entry level line was like that.