Crystal replacement for seiko 5sports

Massimo

Hi everybody,

I need to replace the crystal of a 7s36-02t0.

It is a hardlex crystal that I found available on ebay but it's definitely more expensive than a standard non branded crystal.

Do you have any advise about material and size?

Do I just have to check the diameter and thickness?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Inviato dal mio Lenovo K50-t5 utilizzando Tapatalk

I think a regular mineral crystal from CousinsUK, for example, will do just fine.

The only possibility is that the original crystal might have the edges a bit beveled/angled but it seems normal from the pictures so a non-OEM replacement would be fine if you ask me.

Yes, thickness and the glass diameter will be important. Is the original gasket of the watch intact or do you need a new one ? Seiko original ones might be hard or expensive just like the glass but you could use non-OEM ones as well I think.

Could also try CousinsUK for stocks and prices as well. I've noticed that some Seikos have a small metal spacer below the crystal gasket, perhaps to compensate the thickness...

All you need to do with Seiko glasses is what you have done quote the numbers on the back to order the correct re-placement, to be on the safe side you could just say its chrome or gold colour. Make sure you have a good fitting glass press to fit it.  

Thanks for the answers, the gasket seems OK, the watch is not that old...
I wanted to avoid spending too much money if the glass is in fact the same.
I know for sure the prices of original spare parts are always more expensive than what they should, especially for Japanese companies...

You say the gasket is ok. Do you mean the ring inside the glass? The new glass will come with a new ring. That is way I said you could just say its chrome or gold colour. The gasket is the part that goes around the part of the case that screws the case up and is a completly different part.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You say the gasket is ok. Do you mean the ring inside the glass? The new glass will come with a new ring. That is way I said you could just say its chrome or gold colour. The gasket is the part that goes around the part of the case that screws the case up and is a completly different part.

I don't think that this watch has an acrylic crystal with a tension ring if that's what you're referring to...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Massimo said:

I need to replace the crystal of a 7s36-02t0.

Why? if it is just scratched you can also polish it. It will take more time but it can be done without removing it and you will have tools to do it on any other watch in the future. Search this forum for details.

• Like 2

Why? if it is just scratched you can also polish it. It will take more time but it can be done without removing it and you will have tools to do it on any other watch in the future. Search this forum for details.
It's heavily chipped... It needs a replacement unfortunately!98e3d54fe8ff1d41952b62dd05d907c2.jpg

I asked a quote to cousins and they said the item is "restricted"... No idea of the meaning... The replacements unbranded are available in 3 or 3.5 thickness, whiskey one should I pick?

I'm just curious. There is no place to buy parts in Japan? It will probably easier, faster and maybe also cheaper for you. And if you will find let the rest of the community here know about it in order to add one more source.

Edited by PJA

I asked a quote to cousins and they said the item is "restricted"... No idea of the meaning... The replacements unbranded are available in 3 or 3.5 thickness, whiskey one should I pick?

Probably means it's no longer made by Seiko.

As for size, you should get the one that is as close to the original as you can get.

Did you measure thickness of the one that's on the watch?
Jkhorological in Hong Kong has a good selection that might be quicker to get hold of.

3 hours ago, PJA said:

I'm just curious. There is no place to buy parts in Japan? It will probably easier, faster and maybe also cheaper for you. And if you will find let the rest of the community here know about it in order to add one more source.

There is no place at least for watches like this, which were made for export, outside Japan. Then when it comes to buying parts there are no large "material houses" which sell online, like there are in the West.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2017 at 7:53 AM, anilv said:

I believe these use a light coloured nylon ring. These are a real @#$% to install.

Nylon gasket you mean? Not difficult to install with a decent press and checking the crystal stays aligned all the way down.