What type stone is this?

jdrichard

Looks like a hard Arkansas to me. Hard Arkansas stone is a form of Novaculite which is a microcrystaline quartz.

It is an excellent natural whet stone and is used for the final touching up on your gravers (assuming HSS, not sure how it would perform on tungsten).

• Like 1

I used it to reduce the staff pivot size and it did a great job polishing the pivot. Of course i will not know until i finish the other half and install the balance, hairspring and roller. I may jacot the final staff and use my burnishing tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like a hard Arkansas to me. Hard Arkansas stone is a form of Novaculite which is a microcrystaline quartz.
It is an excellent natural whet stone and is used for the final touching up on your gravers (assuming HSS, not sure how it would perform on tungsten).

Replied above

• Like 1

Thats an Arkansas stone. I had a block for tidying screw driver blades and gravers, one like yours for pivot work and a long triangle shape also for pivot work. Just add a spot of oil for best resaults. They will work on tungsten.

Hey, thanks. It does a great job reducing the pivot size.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...