rotary automatic stem removal

chez138

Hi.

I have recently bought a 'non working' rotary automatic skeleton watch. I love the watch to bits however...

The watch will only work when fully wound and as it unwinds (with little wearing) it stops. it appears as though the minute hand is ever so slightly fouling on the hour hand. when full wound there appears to be enough power to override this. I'm hoping I can just tweak the hand very slightly to clear it. it visually appears slightly bent up.

Ive had the watch open fairly easily however I cant for the life of me find how to remove the stem/crown. ive searched high and low online and am now fairly familiar with the process on many watches except this one.

Any pointers would be much appreciated and well done on great forum.

Thanks

watch.png

Hi chez138

I've repaired one of these a couple of times for a friend. There are plenty for sale on the bay. They look good but use a cheap Chinese movement which is not very robust. The metal used is not very strong, and further weakened by skeletonizing it. Given the quality of the parts they are not fun to take apart and put back together. Eventually I replaced the movement with a new one from Cousins (<£30). 

Fortunately to adjust the hands you won't have to disassemble it. To release the stem, press the lever shown arrowed :

Good luck

Mike

china.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Mike for the speedy well presented response, worked a treat. Also thanks to ishima for the advice.

I thought it may be that lever but was anxious about pressing too hard. Upon pressing down quite hard so that the small piece arrowed went down into the recess in the surround, out she came. I managed to tweak the hand straight but it popped off the centre. I managed to get it back on with some tiny pointy tweaser's and all seems well now. Only time will tell. I agree about the metal and quality it's all a bit too shiny and lumpy for my liking. The watch was not working and only £25 so nothing ventured etc......but for now it's all back together and working so thankyou.