Hello, I’m beginning a new hobby

AdamC

Hello all,

Just to introduce myself to this group. I am just embarking on a new watchmaking hobby as I fancied a new challenge. I’ve always had an interest in watches since being a young lad and being promised a nice watch by my Dad if I learnt to tell the time. He probably regretted how quick I learnt and he rewarded me with a new Sicura World Time watch (can’t remember the exact model but it had a black outer dial to set cities from around the world and was purchased from Leslie Davis around 1972). I now regret selling the “broken” watch on an eBay auction  about 4 years ago for just £13!

And so time has moved on... I have always been patient and technically-minded tinkering successfully in car mechanics and have been working in IT for the past 21 years, so hopefully have the aptitude to succeed in the new hobby. I recently purchased a nice chronograph Tissot watch for everyday use to replace my old Rotary and then started noticing all these fine old watches on ebay. In no time I had collected a few old Tissots; first quartz movements and then moving on to vintage manual winders (and driving my wife nuts!). So now I have a couple of Seastar Sevens (one to clean and oil when I have confidence), a ladies 1969 Tissot to spruce up, not repair, and an old working sporty-looking gents Oris is on the way.

I have begun collecting second hand watchmaking tools, mainly Bergeon after discovering the shocking quality of new Chinese tools. And so now after buying a book ‘Practical WatchRepairing’ De Carle and becoming a Member of this forum, I am looking forward to an interesting start to a new hobby.

Cheers,

Adam

• Like 2

Great intro Adam!  

I see the bug has really bitten hard already and it only gets worse.  Study Mark Lovic's on line videos and make good use of the forum search function and I'm sure you will do just fine.  Also remember that no question is too trivial, so if your having trouble, be sure to ask as someone will pitch in and help.

Edited by Geo
  • Like 2

Welcome to this friendly forum Adam. Practical WatchRepairing’ De Carle you couldn't do better, its a very good start.

Nice to know you soon found out about tool quality. Leave the Indian rubbish tools alone as well.  Dumont tweezers are the best, for basic watch work I had number 3 and for fine work number 5. Enjoy your new hobby.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdamC said:

I have begun collecting second hand watchmaking tools, mainly Bergeon after discovering the shocking quality of new Chinese tools.

Welcome Adam.

FYI, not all Chinese tools are of poor quality, for example a Chinese tunnel demagnetizer, 6 bar pressure tester, or bench case opener are perfectly fine and will cost a third or quarter of what Bergeon asks (which is some hundreds for these).

• Like 2

Thanks for the great tips and  friendly welcome guys. It’s good to know I’ll have some advice at hand if I get stuck.

Mark Lovic’s videos are fantastic Geo, and are what caught my interest here. It’s a great way to learn. 

oldhippy, thanks, yes I was able to pick up a couple of pairs of used Dumont tweezers on the Bay (size P) after really struggling with new budget ones. You are right, the quality is great. I also found the seller G S Walsh a good source for new stuff on ebay.

jdm, thanks for the tip on Chinese tools worth considering. That’s very helpful.

Cheers everyone!